Diabetes, insulin can now drive

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Iowalobertarian, Sep 18, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I believe that Diabetes can be cured, if the medicine fits the situation inside a human and provides a stable situation then it should be researched until a key is found to kickstart the body into getting back to work and provide it's own stability.

Somehow I refuse to accept that whatever the mechanism (Shows how little I know still...) it is that failed in the first place you think you can get it going again instead of having to replace it with medicine.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ziggy319

Ziggy319 Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Syracuse,ny
    Took me 11 months and 17 dr appointments to get my med card. Its a 1 year card and I have to requalify every 90 days.

Rideandrepair and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  4. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    There was a reason we had that law.
    But we forgot what that reason was.
    So let’s just remove that law.

buzzarddriver Thanks this.
  5. earnies2

earnies2 Medium Load Member

May 17, 2012
    Dedham, MA.
    My understanding was the law was put in place in the 50s there were no meters to test levels and it was to dirty of an invirement to give shots and no way to keep insulin cold

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Its not a law, it is a regulation, it was put in after the physicals came into existence and it sucks.

7. george stanley

george stanley Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2016
    henderson,nv
    Rideandrepair and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Me to; big mistake telling the DOT doctor about Metformin. He would never have known if I hadn't listed it.
    My buddy is on insulin and has been for 15 or 20 years. He kept it to himself and always got a 2 year card. He recently retired and trucking companies never knew he was on insulin.

CorsairFanboy and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. earnies2

earnies2 Medium Load Member

May 17, 2012
    Dedham, MA.
    He got lucky had he got into a bad accident and they discovered he was taking insulin his medical card would of been revoked and even if he wasn't at fault he would of been charged with the accident and could of went to jail

10. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    Paranoid much they simplified the program because the results with the old one showed that a compliant stable insulin dependent diabetic was safer then the general population based on thier statistics and monitoring .....good deal makes my life way easier

Rideandrepair and Chinatown Thank this.
  11. Insulindriver

Insulindriver Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2018
    This new ruling is NOT a free pass. As said you have to prove to your MD that you are under control of your diabetes, he fills out form MCSA-5870 found here (https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmc...medical/422521/itdm-assessment-form-final.pdf) Then you take it to the ME who uses these instructions (https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=1&ty=HTML&h=L&mc=true&=PART&n=pt49.5.391) SCROLL down to §391.46 to see the part about diabetes. You need to provide 3 month of BG tests on a meter.

I have had the Fed Diabetes waiver for 10 years. I had intrastate waiver for 4 years before that. it was a PITA to get, BUT i think much easier to maintain than this new system will be. I see an Endocrinologist 4 times a year, 3 times a he fills out a 2 page questionnaire and I mail it in to FMCSA. Once a year I have a 3 page form for the MD and mail that in. I get a dot cart 1 year and the Fed Waiver is good for 2 years.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Reason for edit: Got my FED waiver in 2008
    Ziggy319 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.