diabetes

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by gustavray, Mar 26, 2007.

1. gustavray

gustavray Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2007
    I just found a great test for diabetes. I was listening to Bozo on XM and heard about a company called flexsite.com. they sell a diabetes test that lets you test every 90 days. It measures your average glucose levels. The best part is all i had to do was put 2 drops of blood on the form and mail it to them. then called back in for my results. it definitely worried me to hear how many truckers have diabetes. i guess it comes with the job. the other site that i found easier to remember is alwaysincontrol it goes to the same place.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mr. Green Jeans

Mr. Green Jeans Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2007
    The test is known as Hemoglobin A1C test. It is used to determine how well your diabetes is in control. It is NOT used to diagnose diabetes. (trust me I just spent 25 years in healthcare)

You can also buy the same test and get the results in five minutes at home.

The problem is that you have to know what the results mean and they are not percise, only an average blood sugar reading over the last 3 months.

If you think you have diabetes ( thirst all the time, peeing all the time, sores that dont heal, fatigue, weight gain, etc.) go see your doctor only a doctor can diagnose diabetes.

4. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA

"it definitely worried me to hear how many truckers have diabetes. i guess it comes with the job."

uh.............pssst.............i'll let you in on a little secret, but you gotta promise not to tell anyone............ok.....??

ANYONE can get diabetes. its "usually" genetic, but some people can get it by being fat (obese), non active, or some women can get "gestational diabetes"........... even our family pets can be diabetics, so it ain't just truckers..............so let's keep that secret between us 2..........ok.....??

5. luvmyhubby

luvmyhubby Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Sidney MI
    If you want to know your blood sugar levels why not just get a glucosemeter and use it everyday?, ya dont have to send the stuff anywhere, pick your finger, hit the botton and your done....easy to do.

6. gustavray

gustavray Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2007
    just saw this on the ADA website:

But suppose you want to know how you've done overall. There's a test that can help. An A1C (also known as glycated hemoglobin or HbA1c) test gives you a picture of your average blood glucose control for the past 2 to 3 months. The results give you a good idea of how well your diabetes treatment plan is working.
    In some ways, the A1C test is like a baseball player's season batting average. Both A1C and the batting average tell you about a person's overall success. Neither a single day's blood test results nor a single game's batting record gives the same big picture.

7. Mr. Green Jeans

Mr. Green Jeans Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Please listen, Hemoglobin A1C (glysolated hemogoblin) is not to be used to diagnose diabetes. Yes it gives you an overall picture of what has happened over the past 2-3 months. Do you know what the result means? typical results are 6%-15%, so what is good what is bad.

ONLY a fasting blood sugar done by a lab can diagnose diabetes, and once diagnosed you must check your blood sugar anywhere from 1-6 times a day!

I am a retired Physician, I Know all about diabetes.

Please if you think are diabetic go see your doctor

8. gustavray

gustavray Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2007 May;76(2):251-6. Epub 2006 Oct 17.

"The measurement of HbA1c alone may be efficient to screen undiagnosed DM and the cut-off point of 5.6% might be proper with respect to screening tests properties for undiagnosed DM, and prediction of vascular complications in Japan."

:biggrin_25520:

9. coastie

coastie Road Train Member

Alot get it cause of a number of factors. Over weight, bad eating habits, and some may have gotten it from other things. Lot of the Vietnam Vets are getting it from Agent Orange, My father got it from eating and getting food poisoning off of BBQ when he was 16 years old..

Some things to do, Lose weight if your over weight. Watch what you eat. Do not eat sweets all the time. One guy I know he got it from agent Orange. He knew my father was one, but never asked him for advise. He would always be eating candy bars, and other sweets. First he lost his legs, then his life. My father never lost a limb from it, but lost his vission. My father did not die cause of it either. Aug 14, 2005 they found he had cancer, Aug 16, 2005 he passed away from Cancer. He did Defeat Sugar Dibeties, but lost to cancer.

Testing equipment is nice, but I hated to get my fingers stuck, or just hate needles period. Dad was checking his sugar level 5 to 6 times aday.

Take very good care of your self, so you do not get it, it not easy to live with, it takes alot from you, including your life.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.