Diary of a New Swift Driver

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Gold_Miner, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Gold_Miner

Gold_Miner Medium Load Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Burnet, TX
    On November 1, 2011 I went to http://www.swifttruckingjobs.com/apply.php and filled out my online application. Within two hours I was contacted by a very friendly
    recruiter (Melody Gonzalez). The quick response kind of surprised me.

Melody ask me to fill out the HireRight forms and sign them online. I did and then she ask me to take Swifts online study course. I completed that by Novemeber 3, 2011.

That same day, I got a spreadsheet with information about the San Antonio Acedmey. She said that I would be starting the academy on Novemeber 30, 2011.

On November 5, I sent Melody a question about having my driver permit ahead of time and she said I did not have to have it, that I would get that the 1st week of
    training.

I started reading the forums and was concerned about a few things. My driving record is fairly clean. I had a speeding ticket a year ago for going 10 mph over the
    speed limit. So I found out that was ok.

Next thing that concerned me was my blood pressure. I average 142/90, so I am borderline stage 1. I plan on going to my doctor on November 25 (5 days before
    class I have an appointment) and talking to him on how to get my blood pressure done.

The next thing that I read a lot about was sleep apnea. I was told to bring my sleep study and machine so they could read the card. Hopefully that is not a
    problem, I don't want to get sent home my 1st day of training.

I live in Marble Falls, Texas and San Antonio is about 150 miles away. Melody told me she would set up travel by bus a week before training class.

My goal in writing about my experiences is to help other new Swift drivers understand the process better and if I make mistakes help them avoid the mistake.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    You live in Texas so you can get the permit through the school. I went to that school 6 years ago this month and many of the same people are there, plus a friend of mine that went from driver to instructor, he is a nice guy. I took my own vehicle (got reimbursed for gas for the trip there) because I wanted the freedom of being able to go somewhere when I had free time.

solarbronco Thanks this.
  4. Gold_Miner

Nov 4, 2011
    Burnet, TX
    Yeah, I would take my car too, but me and my wife only have one car. I lost my job in 2008 and have not been able to find work. We lost our house, cars, ATV's, and had to go bankrupt thanks to this great economy. That is why I will be so thankful for a job in trucking. I looked around and it seems no matter what the economy there will always be a need for truck drivers.

My wife is on board with only seeing me once a month or so, heck we have been married for 25 years, so I guess a break will do us both good.

5. UltimateTrucker

UltimateTrucker Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Hello Gold_Miner!

I too did the little info online and got a call from a recruiter who sent me some things to sign online and then he sent the email with the link for the online study guide. I finished that Monday (two days ago) then emailed him to ask what the next step would be and two dates I could be in San Antonio for the training.

He called me back and said he will let me know this Thursday when I will be starting but according to the two dates I asked for (which was December 12) but he did say it wold be the 14th of December not the 12 because the school starts on a Wednesday.

I hope you will keep us all posted on how things go once you get there, especially since I'm headin to San Antonio as well in December. I'll find out tomorrow for sure with the date. Thanks for the info.

6. UltimateTrucker

UltimateTrucker Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Sorry to hear about you losing everything man. Things are tough out there. Most jobs out there don't even pay enough for people to pay any type of bills. Sad situation. Hoepfully trucking will help you turn things around.

7. Gold_Miner

Nov 4, 2011
    Burnet, TX

Good luck in San Antonio, hope I see you there. School always starts on Wed. there... Not sure why, but it does.

8. Gold_Miner

Nov 4, 2011
    Burnet, TX
    Yep, I am worried about having enough money to eat during training, that is how broke I am... Basically me and my wife lost it all. We live in an old travel trailer in Marble Falls. Life kind of sucks for us now, but it is looking up. She just got a new job at a convenience store and hopefully Swift wants me. That would be great, we lost everything, went bankrupt and have no bills right now. So earning money could let us buy a can of spam to eat.

9. Black Bird

Black Bird Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Olive Branch,Ms
    Well, attended the Swift school, 5 years ago. It starts on weds, its usually 23 days long. First week DOT test, second range backing, third week road/highway and road tests

10. alexlockhart

alexlockhart Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Medford, OR
    Welcome!

I just went through the Lewiston academy and will finish orientation in Troutdale tomorrow. You've probably seen my thread.

So far all the Swift people I've met have been good people, and I've had a good experience. Time will tell - especially once I'm out with my mentor, and then out on my own - but it's all been positive so far. I hope your experience is similar!

11. Gold_Miner

Nov 4, 2011
    Burnet, TX
    Alex, Good luck. I am looking forward and very excited about starting my new career and it seems like you are also. Did you get assigned a mentor yet?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.