Did DOT Change The Lighting Requirements?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by DSK333, May 14, 2018.

1. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    I always thought everything facing rearward on a CMV had to be red. Seems like that isn't the case anymore. I've been seeing more and more clear rear lenses. At first I thought it was an OO thing but now I'm seeing it straight from the manufacturers as well.

Flatbeds

11.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The LED's emit red.

The plastic weather proofing is just that.

Although you do raise a very very good question. I don't see anything on that rear end that I am accustomed to seeing in years past.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  4. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    He's also missing conspicuity tape too but I'm too busy focusing on the lenses. The law used to be that anything rearward facing like reflectors and/or lighting had to be red. If the manufacturers are straying from that I can only assume the law has been changed. I don't like to assume though. I know the tail lights on four wheelers are supposed to be red too but Lexus gets away with clear lens anyway. Maybe East is getting a free pass as well.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    In my state I can purchase LED lighting for my 96 Tahoe that is nothing but clear but when working under normal day or night situations when driving signalling etc they emit the proper colors. However, my state is not so anal as say Maryland which demands factory equivalent equipment to pass a inspection for a vehicle to get plates. I had to search the Nation's entire junkyard supply of GT mirriors for the right door one year. We finally found a rougher shop willing to sign off that form for DMV with a 20 dollar after market that's close enough and a little over rate payment.

I am not seeing reflective tape. There was a time I snorted and smiled condescending towards people slapping bright tape all over the things in my day. Until one morning I almost T boned another rig crossing my two lane side of a divided in very bad fog north of Hanover. That tape provided the only clue in time enough for me to toss anchor while he crawled across. So that was the end of my problems with reflective tape.

Either he does not have much of a Decap bar or the flaps are folded over them on the back.

Just a couple thoughts.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  6. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    They are red lights the lenses are just clear, every light on my trailer is clear and I've haven't been bothered about it.

Tug Toy, x1Heavy and DSK333 Thank this.
  7. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    If you have all clear lenses with red leds inside, you're required to have a red reflector on the surface near the lights. First time is a warning, $150 after that.
    Ain't anything wrong with clear LEDs.

brian991219, rank, skellr and 3 others Thank this.
  8. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Maybe it's just a Maryland thing I'm thinking of in regards to the actual lenses having to be red and amber.

9. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    So the lens and the LEDs can be clear as long as there's a red reflector next to them?

10. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Looks like a show off pic for aftermarket fab work. I see bare welds, its not done.

Imo

Bean Jr. and DSK333 Thank this.
  11. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    The led are red when they light up. They are clear when they aren't lit. Running lights/brake/turn are all bright red. Only clear when off.

brian991219 and DSK333 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.