Did this help you? or hurt you?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by drfuller18, Feb 4, 2008.

Did the present hours of service, hurt you compared to the older one

Poll closed Feb 18, 2008.
  1. *

Yes it did hurt me, I did it legal before and was more productive..

83.3%
  2. No I love to sit in truckstops and at customers all the time..

16.7%
  1. drfuller18

drfuller18 Light Load Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Al
    Looking back on the hours of service we once had, do you see where the OTRD really benefited from the change we know today, from the hours of service we once had? I see no real beneifit at all except the restart that we should have had in the first place..:yes2557:We gave them 2 extra hours of shutdown time for 1 hour driving time..Makes no sence to me, and the 10-8 rule was a good deal...If your going to run illegal, your going to do it regardless. This 14 hour clock is the biggest joke of all to me..I guess they thought we were getting to rich and thought we needed bankers hour or something..Who knows! If these Cos. would start paying 28.00 an hour, well take your time!! Its not ready? no problem...But it doesnt work like that. How many Cos are out there that are that coordinated to keep your loads preplaned 1,2 or even 3 loads at a time? This rule would definately work if it was like that,and they were all the time waiting on you..But usually it works out your waiting on them and killing precious time you need to drive.. But this is the real world of Truckin' ..And I really dont think it was all about safety.. Well we have no say in it and its the law we have to follow everyday..Not all will be able to comment here because you dont know of it..Your the New Generation..And I guess we are the Old..lol But did it benifit you? Or did it hurt you?? legal is legal regardless.. I think it hurt? If they wanted legal they should have put on board comp. logs in every truck...Thats the only way theyll honestly know your legal or not anyway...What do you think? I messed the pole up, so just post it hurt! or it Didnt!. lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    The 10 hour mandatory break good. You can now eat, sleep, and shower instead of sacrificing 1 or the other.

11 Hours to drive is fine (some hustlers were doing 11, 12, 13, 14, or more hours of driving at a time under the "old hos rules") as it legalized commonly practiced behavior anyway.

14 Hour window to complete your work is a real nuisance and has thrown a major monkey wrench into "business as usual" practices.

34 Hour reset Very Good and about time we got something reasonable out of a government agency.

The restrictive "split sleeper berth" provision VERY BAD. Mandating an 8/2 split gutted the flexibility of all drivers to perform their jobs in a safe responsible manner.

4. hondadrv24

hondadrv24 Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I know I'm fairly new to trucking, but as a dedicated run team driver the split sleeper provision really hurts us. the only way we can truly have more than the actual 14 hours that the first one to drive has is to log directly into sleeper birth even though we are getting out at stops to help unload (peddle). I love the 34 hr restart. I think everyone should get to have a weekend off.

5. drfuller18

drfuller18 Light Load Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Al
    Yea it sure makes for a real safe night of driving after you get out and unload while logging sleeper..And Cos know this, but will still write you up if you dont go the mile to get it there..Because you were asleep on your logs...I know what your saying. And to believe though the one actually doing the stop has only got to log .25 and can go off duty or sleeper..And hes unloading the truck..Happens all the time..If drivers started logging true legal logs, theyd not get miles.. and Cos would be fireing right and left begging schools to pump them out faster..:biggrin_2559:

6. 379 Peterbilt

379 Peterbilt Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Freight rates and availability dictate my success, not a theoretically legal HOS standard.

14 hour sucks in 'theory'.

34 hour reset is nice tho.

7. 24valve puller

24valve puller Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2007
    N.E. Oh

Same goes for me

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.