Did TX recently start requiring a permit of their own?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by supersnackbar, Mar 13, 2018.

1. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Other than your trucks apportioned cab card, did TX start requiring an additional permit to pull freight into or out of the state? (Not oversized or heavy haul, just the regular 80k lb 5 axle truck). Got a message from corporate saying "before delivering or picking up loads in TX, make sure to pick up your TX permit". I've been delivering in TX for decades, haven't ever seen or heard of a special TX permit. Did they recently add something?

Dan.S Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
  4. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Not sure, just got the message saying to pick one up before going into TX. Sounded like it's not truck specific, just a fleet permit.

5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    They had a interstate permit, but i heard it was not needed any more.

double yellow Thanks this.
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Alcohol permit maybe?

7. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Na, we haul only glass...it ended up being an intrastate permit. I had always thought that you only needed an intrastate permit if you stayed within the state...and we are an interstate hauler, we bring glass in, and pick up glass headed out of the state. Corporate permit department didn't get an explanation as to why we need one, just said keep it in your truck. Maybe it has something to do with our new parent company, Daseke just bought our company late last year, and they are TX based...but I don't think I had one of these permits when I worked for Poly out of Grand Prairie...

double yellow and ZVar Thank this.
  8. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I’m betting it doesn’t have anything to do with Daseke. I work for a Daseke company hauling mainly out of red oak and Grand Prairie Texas. Never heard of any such Permit.

9. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Usually when you are a company based in a state like Texas, with Texas apportioned tags, then you are allowed to haul intra-state, no special permits needed.

But everybody else has to file as a foreign entity doing business in TX to get a TX dot number in order to legally haul intra-state.

7-UP Thanks this.
  10. 7-UP

7-UP Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV.
    @HopeOverMope you are correct. Been like that since the 70's.

SAR Thanks this.
  11. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Wow... I’m a new carrier myself and when I was asked do I want a TX dot number to haul intrastate out there I said yea! ...then come to find out that’s about a $700-$1000 process... so I said yea never mind for now

7-UP Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.