Diesel in oil part 2

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by skman, May 19, 2022.

1. skman

skman Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    I had posted about a week ago about my 14L Detroit filling up with diesel in the oil.
    There was a broken snap ring on the top of the new injector and diesel was pouring out. Also ended up breaking a rocker arm.
    So we got that fixed but now my engine is lacking power...esp in the top gears and RPM fluctuates a bit (100-150).
    The truck is out right now but I figured I'd ask on here so I can check things when he gets in.
    Is it possible that when the engine was full of diesel and oil (about 20gallons when drained) that some of the oil returned back to the fuel tanks and is plugging my filters?
    Never even thought to change the fuel filters after fixing the injector issue

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    If I recall, guys would burn used oil in the fuel with older mechanical engines - wouldn’t think it would cause much issue.

4. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Ck if they adj. All the valves or just the one that rocker arm was broken on?

5. skman

skman Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    The valves were all adjusted when I put the 6 pack of injectors in a month ago. But they didn't do them all again yesterday.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I seem to recall there are 2 different injector heights depending on the model. Wonder if they set the new injector height using the wrong tool?

I think the jakes need to come off too in order to get at the injector or rocker arms. Might have messed up the adjustment there as well since the jake housing covers 2 cylinders I think?

Sorry been over a decade since I've had the valve cover off a Detroit.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  7. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    I'd run a full overhead on it and test all the injectors. Make sure none are weak.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.