Difference between lease purchace from company and actual havng own authority O/O

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Chaos268, May 23, 2013.

1. Chaos268

Chaos268 Light Load Member

May 20, 2013
    Please discuss the difference between getting hooked into a lease purchase with a company, which after expenses only pays a little more if any more than a company driver makes, and an actual owner operator, where the driver has his or her own authority and actually works for whatever company they want to work for and can get loads directly from a broker.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sly Fox

Sly Fox Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Not much to discuss, you summed it up quite well.

cetanediesel and Down the road Thank this.
  4. ACAJOE

ACAJOE Light Load Member

May 24, 2013
    not all lease to buy arrangements are the same. if you have no credit or cash u gotta start somewhere. if you dont like paperwork, dont get your own DOT ##.. get on with a company that doest charge 25-35 % like landstar, daily, or most others. dont give up more than 10% plus expenses....

5. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    There is more then just the 2 choices that you listed. Leasing a truck FROM a company is not the same thing as leasing a truck ON TO a company.

You can do a lease purchase with a company where you lease the truck from them and that almost always requires you to lease on with that company for your freight. That is never a good idea as they control your revenue that you need to make your lease payments.

You can also get a truck on your own and lease on to a company for freight. I think the majority of owner operators probably go this route. Some companies like Landstar and Mercer only have owner operations leased on and they are probably the best type of company to lease to as you are not competing with company trucks for freight. Other companies like Schneider have company drivers as well as lease operations and owner operators leased on to them for freight.

The final option would be to get your own authority rather then leasing on to a company. While this dose allow you to pull anyone's freight you are also left with more paperwork and insurance costs so a lot of O/O's chose to lease on with a company.

You talked about the first and last choice but completely left out leasing a truck on to a company which is a good choice for many.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  6. Chaos268

May 20, 2013
    You are right, I did leave that one out. I stand corrected.

My first wife (I am widowed) bought a truck and hired her son (my stepson) to drive it for her. I told her that was a big mistake, but she would not listen. The truck she bought had a half a million miles on it, and her son, who has a big drug problem left the truck on the side of the road and just walked off. Moral of the story, You have to know who you are hiring to run your equipment or drive it yourself.

It is a big responsibility to drive a truck that you own. You could find yourself running yourself to death just to keep up with the repairs, and spending what little forced time off that you have, the 34 hour reset, doing paperwork, or repairs.

7. Polarbear857

Polarbear857 Light Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Coatesville pa
    So are you saying you don't understand why someone would buy a truck period? Because with all three options you would still have repairs, paperwork and all the things necessary to do on your time off. If this is what you're saying then no one should have a desire to work harder? To pursue the American dream? To try to build something for their children's future? If that's the case most of the large companies in American wouldn't exist, we wouldn't have innovations and a place for someone else with less of a drive to provide for their families. I'm not trying to be rude just broaden your outlook. And no fleases are not a good way to get started, works for some but they struggle more than most.

8. Chaos268

May 20, 2013
    No, I'm not saying that no one should ever strike out on their own. I'm saying that anyone that does should do so at the right strategic time and have their ducks in a row if they do. They should wait until they can invest in a truck that is not worn completely out to begin with. The repairs can and will kill them from the start. Also, they need to have a wife or husband that has the savvy to handle the books, or someone else they can trust. It's going to take about all anyone can do to run all the miles necessary to build the capital they will need for hard time that will certainly come. For sure, they should not buy a truck with the intention for a family member to drive for them, like my wife did. Especially a family member that has been known to leave a truck on the side of the road and simply walk away to begin with.

This can be done, but it should be done right to begin with, or the driver will be setting themselves up for failure from the get-go. If a driver will do the research, understand the perils they will face, and not allow themselves to be had by the vultures out there waiting to pick their bones, if they will get their own authority so they don't depend on one company for all of their work, then the sky is the limit.

9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    A lot of truck drivers are good at driving, but don't have much of a business head. These guys should partner up with a company and let the company do most paperwork and dispatch. That just lets them drive. For this, they will pay about 20-25% of the rate. Now, to get all of the rate into their own pocket, they need a business head, which will take a lot of time to find loads, negotiate rates, do the necessary paperwork etc. "leasing" a truck from a truck company that takes weekly payments and controls your destiny thru dispatch is not very smart. They have complete control, you have none.

bluerider Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.