difference in start up truck companies?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by dobman, Nov 26, 2006.

1. dobman

dobman Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2006
    I just obtained my CDL after truck school and am amazed at the difference in opportunities with the start up milage and benefit package ( I mean health insurance (I am 52 and while 20 year olds are not as concerned, any one with half a brain knows that a decent policy is the difference between a good and bad doctor working on you)) with the difference companies. Warner and CFI start you off at around 26 cents per mile and Schaffer and many other comapnies are at 34 cents. While I do know it is the amount of milage driven which is important, I do not believe that there is a big difference in this start up driving category (please comment on this somebody) the health insurance is another clue. CFI sent me their health Package and the first year it is a 70/ 30 in network (vrs. 80/20 with a decent plan) and 50/50 out of network (disgraceful) and is not a well known provider (more disgraceful) which means that few hospitals recognize the in network coverage.
    First of all an 80 /20 plan allows some hospitals and doctors to eat the 20% ( or at least put much less pressure on you for the 20, vrs. 30%) thereby giving you a reasoneale break from a hospitalization which could really hurt the pocketbook. Secondly, by not having good health insurance, the quality of doctors goes down significantly as they like everyone else want to get paid decently for their labor.
    To the young truckers these issues might not be that important regarding health insutrance, but at 52, it is VERY important.
    Someone please comment on the different opportunities at start up companies.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    i too am of an "older age" and health insurance is a "somewhat" big deal to me. i look at it this way, some companies will pay a higher salary, but require a bigger contribution to the health care premiums. some companies pay a lower salary, but have a lower contribution to the health benefits. anyway "I LOOK AT IT", its going to cost me money out of pocket. all doctors and all hospitals and all emergency clinics accept the various health care insurance. sure, i may have to "shell out" more for the deduction, or even have to pay the balance, but they (the health providers) will make "payment plans" since most know no one can afford to pay in full. and, they cannot force you to pay up either. this i learned from experience.....................

i needed some x-rays, and some medical attention, years ago. i had back then a lousey health plan. i owed the doctor over $300.00 and the "out patient room" over $600.00...............

did i pay for that all at once............???

no way. they each accepted monthly payments.

so yes, the "state of health insurance stinks", but i take whatever the employer has, and i make adjustments accordingly.

long gone are the 100% best coverages, 100% company paid, 0% deductables/co-pays.

for us "older" people, health care will take the "front seat" rather than salary, that's for sure, but its the way it is, sadly enough..............

4. bjohn920

bjohn920 Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I just heard last week that when our contract is up in 2 years they are going to stop paying for any of our insurance. They say they don't owe us insurance. Sure hope it was just a rumor

5. Boilermaker

Boilermaker Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2006
    No they're not! That's the insurance we have thanks to Paddy's union. When you have a huge family this is an important issue. However they won't cover elective procedures. I'd like to get a breast lift and augmentation sometime. It would have to be paid out of pocket by us.
    Julie
    :smt059

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.