Differential oil change, 2016 Kenworth T680

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by OTR48+C, Aug 9, 2018.

1. OTR48+C

OTR48+C Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2010
    I have a 2016 Kenworth T680, as per factory specification the oil need to be change every 500,000 miles if synthetic oil 75w/90 is use.

Now these differecials do not have a drain hole on the bottom just to two holes on the the side how you drain the oil?

Dealer do not use a vacuum machine only the hole from the side so how that work for drain the whole oil?
    At $575.00 a pop I like to do it somewhere else but no one do it, try TA, speedco, loves.

Any suggestions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
    Which diffs? Just call up the manufacturer or Google the model number and maintenance manual, that should point you in the right direction.

I changed the oil in my meritor 46k diffs in a little over an hour with a 10$ hand pump and a long hose..... messy but cheap. One 5 gal pale per (roughly) at about $125 each from the local cardlock (adjusted for USD) that's full synthetic Chevron Meritor spec stuff too btw.

Save your bucks! Supply your own oil to whoever does it, as they uncharge their oil SIGNIFICANTLY. Even if they add on 10 or 20% s/c for customer supplies parts or whatever you will still come out ahead

shatteredsquare Thanks this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Usually the plug is right on the bottom. If these are the Paccar diffs maybe they put the drain plug on the carrier assembly?

5. KVB

KVB Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2012
    Some of the newer axles don't have a separate drain plug.
    I've seem axles where you have to take out the bottom 2 of the capscrews that fix carrier to the axle housing to drain oil.

Re-install with loctite.

Maybe yours are like this.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  6. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Just when I thought manufacturers could not get more , should I say different? No drain plug on the bottom? That's where you find what could be in your oil when you drain it. Stuck on the magnetic plug. Whats next, a sealed differential?

Tug Toy and Oldironfan Thank this.
  7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Are you freaking kidding? Wow, cheaper and cheaper all the time. What did that save, $3 a truck?

Tug Toy and Oldironfan Thank this.
  8. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I know whats next. Engines without a drain plug? Charge more for equipment, then make them as cheap as possible. Already making fuel tanks so thin you bump it with your knee and dent them. Well mayby I am exaggerating a little.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.