Dilemma, good customer, good service, should I ask for more $?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Cheezy_smile, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Cheezy_smile

Cheezy_smile Medium Load Member

May 23, 2017
    Dedicated customer , same freight every day... Now coming up to a year of serving them, never had a service failure or being late (JIT freight). Customer is extremely happy with the service (all of this coming from office people at the company I am leased at). Now if that’s the case would you go in and try to squeeze more money out of them after all of this pep talk? I mean ata boy is good, but show me the money if u like the service so much.

Orange713 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    If you are leased on aren't you getting a fixed percentage?

4. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Probably gets a percentage of the load, so the more the load pays, the more he makes.

It’s a crapshoot trying to up the rates. If they think your service is worth it, they may go for it. If not, you could lose them. Nobody on here can tell you a perfect answer to this one.

justa_driver and Ruthless Thank this.
  5. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    I would go in and ask for a 23% raise. What is the worst that could happen they tell you they no longer need your services!

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    WHAT does your contract say about compensation?

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  7. Cheezy_smile

May 23, 2017
    I get a flat rate for each load , addendum to the contract. Basically I was a guinea pig for this account, helped them get going and established very good relationship with shipper and receivever. Was reluctant because it’s a union shop , but the treat me well. Probably because it’s major component that they need asap. We should have a yearly review per contract and was thinking about asking for more $$ since they like service so much.

8. TankerYankr

TankerYankr Medium Load Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Central US
    Prepare some written documentation, go in and explain, that do to rising costs you regretfully are being forced to raise your rate.

Explain that this is not to try to pocket a larger profit, but to keep the costs stabilized so that they the customer will be able to keep taking advantage of the excellent service that have been receiving to date.

Your customer is in business also, they should understand that costs do nothing but go up.

9. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    If you were a broker how much could you realistically cover it for? Compare that to what you’re hauling it for now. That will give you good insight into it. Also, if freight is up 20% in the last year then a 10% increase is probably doable without too much risk of loss. They are either spoiled and will kick and scream, or they are smiling knowing they have been on a killer deal. Depends on the shipper. I’ve had both and generally the spoiled types you’re better to just move on and haul when they call for what you need.

Ps. Never burn a bridge though or there will be no future opportunity which only shoots yourself in the foot.

10. Cheezy_smile

May 23, 2017
    I will try and be polite about the whole thing. I have great relationship with supplier and customer. But I also vaule my time and I think I am providing them with good service. When time comes I will try to ask for more , but definitely not burning bridges since supplier is a decent size outfit that could provide me with other work if necessary

11. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Sometimes one way you can approach it is like this: “I have really enjoyed working with everyone here at x company over the last year. My goal is to continue on for another year but unfortunately am going to have to slightly increase my rates. It’s never been more expensive to operate a tractor/trailer, and I would be happy to continue on for an 8% increase.”

Good luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.