driving history

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Ken B Worth, May 24, 2017.

1. Ken B Worth

Ken B Worth Light Load Member

May 24, 2017
    I want to start driving truck but I've a had a dui or two in my background what are my chances? The FMSCA has a lot to do with me getting a CDL and a trucking job don't they?Dui is 12 years old, what are my chances of getting in a truck

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    DUI or two? Which one is it?

Lord Pablo, Badmon and UsualSuspect Thank this.
  4. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Yeah, they can be strict on dirvers with a dui. Or two.

5. Ken B Worth

May 24, 2017

6. Ken B Worth

May 24, 2017
    Any suggestions,?

7. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Some companies only care abt the last 3 yrs of your mvr. Some are 5 then 7 yrs Back on your mvr. It just depends on who you apply to. Swift will hire you most likely or some of these megas. But it depends on how old the dui or dwi was.

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    You should be fine since your duis are 12 yrs old.Any tickets besides that?

9. Wanderer1

Wanderer1 Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Ask your daughter
    Do research on companies your interested in (like download app,don't have to fill it out,just read it),most will ask how many tickets,wrecks,etc in last # years. A few require 3 years back, some 5 years, most companies go further back. What does POS DAC report show (run it yourself), then check the state you live in MVR and see whats on it. You know trucking co's have insurance on mostly their trucks,but a construction co has insurance on all their equitment, so if your interested in driving a dump truck their not nearly as strict on MVR's.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Trucking Company Policies On Drivers With DUI-DWI

What New Truck Drivers Need To Know About Getting A Truck Driving Job With A DUI Or DWI:
    FMCSA regulations state that a second conviction for a CDL-holder for operating a vehicle, commercial or otherwise, under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance, or a second refusal, will disqualify a driver from obtaining a CDL for life.

See Also: Disqualifications For CDL-Holders

Many companies will hire drivers with a DUI or DWI , and most will require a certain amount of time to have passed since the incident occurred. Keep in mind, that in most cases the clock will only start ticking after final remediation of the incident, i.e. driving privileges have been restored.

If possible, it is recommended that new drivers with DUI's or DWI's on their record look to company-sponsored CDL training, or, at the very least, get as many pre-hire letters as they can before attending truck driving school.

Most states will use the terms DUI (Driving Under the Influence), DWI (Driving While Intoxicated), or OWI (Operating While Intoxicated).

Under this excerpt if you had TWO convictions for DUI and or DWI, you cannot run a CDL for life.

11. Ken B Worth

May 24, 2017
    12 years, England said they would have me in a school in 4 days, but not sure they ran a background

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.