Disclosing mental health on DOT.

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Kj032417, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Kj032417

Kj032417 Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2018
    I know I have to disclose my mental health history on my DOT physical, however, I was misdiagnosed with something a few months ago and have since had it corrected and am receiving a new treatment.
    Do I disclose the misdiagnosis or just the current one?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    If you are clinically clear when you answer the question(fill out the form) don't disclose anything. It is one of those totally loaded questions that will cause you nothing but grief. The physician conducting the physical, during the interview process will determine if you are mentally fit enough to drive a truck.

Pamela1990, Hulld and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Never divulge anything to the hacks performing physicals. Less said the better.

5. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Not sure what the feds would find on your record? But only matters if you want a hazmat endorsement.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Hazmat isn't that thorough about much of anything. Don't ask me how I know, because I won't reveal that.

homeskillet, CJ701, speedyk and 4 others Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You managed not only to fail to explain what the mis diagnosis is, you also fail to explain what you are recieving new treat ment for?

Leaves me with absolutely no way to answer your question.

As far as DOT medical is concerned don't say a #### thing. Don't volunteer nothing and MAKE them find a problem if at all possible. Be close to hostile. Get it over with and out. Essentially no this no that no no no and no. What part of no don't you understand etc.

8. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Chinatown knows that is true. Don't ask me how I know .just believe it

9. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    In general, the latest medical opinion will always supersede the prior medical opinion. This is especially true if you transparently disclosed the first "misdiagnosis" to the new certifying opinion--this shows you didn't lie by omission. Assuming you satisfied the aforementioned criteria, my sense is that you have no obligation to inform the DOT physician that you had one Dx, felt misdiagnosed, went to a new doctor ,and got that diagnosis changed on paper. The reason for this, is because this gives the DOT physician an excuse to nitpick you over whatever perceived discrepancy there is. Maybe he'll even send you to an expensive "sleep study," to his friend just down the street, at the reasonable flat fee for $10k. You get what I'm saying. I think your bases are covered if physician # 2 was aware of what physician #1 said, and nullified it after further diagnosis. That's especially the case if say doctor #1 was a family MD, and doctor #2 is an actual psychiatrist. Within all that, I wouldn't mention any of it at all unless you are taking psychiatric medications that will show up on a DOT drug test. Those would be benzos and amphetamines (ADHD medications). Provided you take no medications, I'd say you're in the clear to never mention misdiagnosis #1, correcting diagnosis #2, or your good intentions to do the right thing by over-share information. Read the forms carefully, simple yes and no answers are what they want--mostly "NO." If you give too much information, the only thing they will do is nitpick you and then force you into an ambiguous circle of producing more, and more, and more, and more documentation for your self-created problem. Saying something like, "my mom told me I used to snore as a child," turns into, "I have active sleep apnea and am a danger to myself and others on the road, and also I am going to die in my sleep at age 24 from said sleep apnea. And also doctor, when I'm dying of said sleep apnea, it will be at a time when I am driving a HAZMAT load down the freeway during rush hour traffic--god this sleep apnea impairs every single aspect of my life" Feel me?

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    By the way, no harm in having mental illness. It is indeed a legitimate medical problem, and most everybody has a mental illness of some form. Some more obvious than others.

We all go a little mad sometimes.

Pamela1990 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    FEDS just want to see if you're on the no-fly list for pledging your allegiance to Islamic State. Or if you are under indictment for building several meth labs. Has zero to do with mental health--who ever said mental illness equals danger to public safety? Stereotypes, smh. There's nothing wrong with listening to the screaming inside your own mind which commands you to remove your own face with a straight razor. Nothing wrong at all!! eh! ahADFHhaha! hehehehahahoo

x1Heavy and Last Time Around Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.