Discouraged, injured, went back to work, now the pain.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Roaddreamer, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    My disk did herniate, and to a very bad degree. My neurosurgeon used that term, but maybe you know more than him. The fiberius outside of the disk had blown out, and parts were sticking into my sciatic nerve. Only surgery could remove that problem. Don't assume because you have a problem that it's just like someone else's problem. Unless you are a doctor you should refrain from giving medical advice to others.

faux_maestro Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roaddreamer

Roaddreamer Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Alright, thanks for the responses. Going to try and cover most of them in here.

I've had extensive tests done for my back. After the fact.x Ray's, MRIs and CT scans and an emg. It is not my back that causes my leg pain.
    Nothing is wrong with it other then the missing disc and lamina. Somewhere down by past my knee my superficial anterior peroneal nerve is entrapped or something. Which does only flair up during cold temperatures.

Though no doctor I have seen can tell me exactly what is wrong or what to do to fix it. I regretfully declined physical therapy 3 different times. As I was and am doing better then I thought other then the pelvic tilt. And nerve pain that i hopewon't show up this winter.

I could probably afford to lose a few pounds, and be even more active as I am still learning my limits. It wasn't fun learning to walk again and I guess due to that I was not holding my posture true.

Here's the thing.

I can't really do anything else as I have an easy job hauling mail. This is probably the least involved and physical of the driving.

I haven't asked if they have other positions in the company. But like i said I have no degree. I can still lift carefully and not sure of my limits. As I have gone back to my normal lift style .I've only been back for 1 year and 3 months.

I went to a chiropractor before seeing a surgeon. It helped until I would get home.

I've taken it upon myself to walk more. And like checking my mirrors, checking my posture. As well as stretching daily to every other day.

I have a bilateral laminectomy with diskectomy s1-L4 one disc completely exploded. And the other was a partial herniation that he tried to repair. I'm 28. So I have a long working career ahead of me. I don't think my wife understands how stressful this is.

I want to provide for my family. But I don't want any of this stuff to happen again or impede my Pathway to success.

4. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I cant believe a doctor doesn't know what is wrong. What kind are you seeing?

5. Swiss Mountain Dog

Swiss Mountain Dog Medium Load Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Texas
    I contracted disseminated Valley Fever in 2006 and told I might not survive past ten years. This has slowly, literally eaten away at all of my joints and soft tissue in various areas and caused numerous other problems that aren't relevant to this discussion.

My hip, one knee, all fingers and toes, one shoulder and two vertebrae are significantly damaged now. I do not take prescription pain medication because I need to function mentally. Over the years I have learned that walking through the pain and yoga definitely help. The yoga keeps the flexibility and encourages correct breathing and mental focus. Walking keeps everything moving and warm.

Sitting can be a sheer misery so try to do stretching exercises as you sit and definitely walk as much as possible. But yoga... Well it's been a lifesaver on some respects for me.

faux_maestro Thanks this.
  6. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Back surgery is a total crapshoot. Change the lives of some for the better and makes it worse for others.

If truck driving aggravates it, I’d guess a manual labor gig wouldn’t be any better or something where you’re constantly on your feet.

Can you qualify for disability? That may be the best option if you can afford it

7. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Since his pain is caused by something in his leg, I dont see how sitting is an issue. There are some very good lumbar seats out there. My Volvo has a massage seat that cycles the lumbar. I can drive all day.

8. TankerP

TankerP Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Holding the steering wheel
    Your surgeon gave you an answer. Yet here you are asking a bunch of truck drivers on the internet for a second opinion.

faux_maestro and REO6205 Thank this.
  9. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    And yet you feel that since you've spoken to a doctor and had surgery, you're qualified to give medical advice? I don't know, maybe you know better than the tens of thousands of people out there who are living completely disabled from botched back surgeries.

Look Tennessee, everybody has different issues with spine related conditions and no two are the same. If somebody has convinced themselves that surgery is their only option, they are doing themselves a disservice by not getting several surgical opinions. There is a well documented condition called FBSS or "failed back surgery syndrome" that is easily looked up with a Google search, and hundreds of clinical studies on the number of people who return to work after surgery versus those who didn't have surgery. The results are always in favor of those who opted out of surgery. As with trucking, there are lawyers who specialize in back surgery cases because of the high failure rate and the high number of people who are permanently disabled from surgery. I'm happy that it's worked for you and others, but for me somebody cutting on my spine is an absolute last resort. It's just my opinion, and you can take it or leave it.

10. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    The difference is, I dont claim to have answers. You portray yourself as some authority. I told him to get medical advice. I cited my example as to how confusing things can be. Nothing done prior to my surgery showed anything but a slight bulge, but my Neuro was a smart guy. He said I'm going in and will fix what I'm sure I will find. For every bad surgery there are probably 100 good ones you don't hear about. We amaze over a trucking accident but forget the 100,000 that didn't have one that day.

11. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    I've had two back surgeries one for a ruptured disc on l4 and a herniated disk on l5. The injury two both happened at the same time. The ruptured disk was repaired first. I was left with nerve damage in my left leg. The second surgery was after the herniated disk got worse after a fall nine years later.

Weight loss and core training are important. Daily stretches also.

I see the chiropractor monthly. She is aware of my surgeries and does not manually minipulate that area. I think chiropractic care is only one thing that I do to keep my self healthy.

Now, if I start having symptoms of a bulging disk again I will go straight to my doctor.

Again being fit is the most important way to combat back and hip issues.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.