Dispatching worth it? Advice please..

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by redlane, Jul 10, 2019.

1. redlane

redlane Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2019
    My dad is a o/o , leased under a carrier.. we own 2 trucks and we tried hiring a driver for the second truck but the profit is not too good because of the expenses plus finding a good driver... if we were to get our own authority and I could find the loads and get other o/o, will it be worth it? I know that the carrier make good money for just finding the loads for him. (They charge 13%)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Sure you could do good. Although once you go to hire an owner op you may change your mind on that 13% depending on what the deduction schedule looks like.

In fact you guys may be in a unique position to capitalize since your able to focus on booking. However, never in a million years would I do business with family again.

redlane and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What expense is there to find a good driver?

The carrier is t charging him 13%, they are paying him 13% less than the gross for the load.

5. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    To pay a full time dispatcher you need at least 5 trucks unless dispatcher works part time.

Things to consider:

A new authority is hard to get loads from some brokers and you won’t start off with the best contacts.

Yeah you won’t have to pay the 13% but with fewer trucks you may not get a insurance discount, fuel discount, and your expenses will go up with load board and factoring fees, plates, IFTA, mandatory drug program, etc.

redlane and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.