Do a lot of truckers suffer sleep apnea?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by sybila, Jul 11, 2018.

1. sybila

sybila Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Is that real problem or is that exaggeration?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    it's a problem for some.

Maj. Jackhole Thanks this.
  4. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    It’s a real problem. The irregular schedules combined with the long days can wreak havoc on a person’s circadian rhythms

Trucking in Tennessee Thanks this.
  5. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Moreso extreme obesity.

CJ701 and DTP Thank this.
  6. Lab work

Lab work Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    USA
    Truckers dont sleep so avoid them on the highway. When you pass a truck on the highway make it quick and dont cut me off just because i am blocking your view. Have some patience on the highway so I can deliver beer, ice cream, beef, etc. safely.

7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Years ago, sleep apnea wasn't a problem,,,,you didn't make any money sleeping.:eek:

8. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I always thought people with sleep disorders and are always tired would Make better truck drivers as they can flip their sleep schedule easier than someone that sleeps perfectly

9. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    It was a big thing a year ago but now everyone is mad about ELDs

Sleep Apnea is hard to tell of you have it. Driver always brag about sleeping when loading or unloading. When drivers get tired they tend to drink soda and candy or the energy drinks. Remember the 5 hour energy thing we're big in truck stops a year or 2 ago. But ask them if they are tired everyone will say NO

A person with sleep apnea stops breathing any were from 5-100 times per hour for 10 seconds each time. That can add up to several minutes of not breathing per hour. Try holding your breath for 5 minutes and see how you feel. That's basically what sleep apnea is. If someone has it, getting it fixed can make a big difference.

It's funny driver post stuff saying the 14 hour day is not enough time because they can't stop for a nap and are being forced to drive tired. Those guys probably have a sleep problem because they can't work a 14 hour day without a nap. That's how I was before I got a sleep test. Now I can work 14 hours day without candy or soda or coffee. I think it worth getting checked if some think they might have it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Troy_ and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  10. Troy_

Troy_ Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    I was diagnosed with apnea 5 years ago. I'm not overweight, and do not drink or smoke. but was told I had one of the worst cases they had ever seen after testing. I never knew what a good night's sleep was until I got one of those #### machines.

Texnmidwest and CJ701 Thank this.
  11. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    Way over exaggerated. Yeah some guys have it. But there are a multitude of treatments to cure it besides machines that can be rented out monthly, and monitoring services etc....

It is another money grab because there is no direct link to highway safety according to the head of the FHWS and NTSB.

brysol01 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.