Do all mega carrier trainers suck?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lonewolf2000, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Lonewolf2000

Lonewolf2000 Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    I’m been driving trucks for a few months now and I’m glad to be solo.Swift is my first truck driving job so I can’t compare it to Werner/Schneider etc. I had 2 trainers, 1 for 3 weeks the 2nd for 1 week. My first trainer should not be training anybody. I did not learn jack from him that I could not have learned on my own. All he does is yell and criticize everything I do and has unrealistic expectations. While I did need fine tuning throughout my training and I’m still becoming fine tuned I’m not nearly as bad as he made me out to be. His way of teaching me to back is as follows. Pull forward pull forward more turn right keep going further right , turn left more left back to the right, go back left more left right too far right back left pull forward.All of this is done yelling from outside driver window. How in gods name is anyone supposed to learn that way?. I learned more from the backing diagram and instructions in the driver handbook I was given. The instructions for a 45 degree back are as follows. Start at 12 o clock pull up 1 1/2-2 spots from the space your backing into than turn right and go to 3 o clock than back to 12. Start backing into the space. Even though I didn’t nail it the first time it got me headed in the right direction and was more helpful than he ever was. After 3 weeks he went on vacation and I did a week with a 2nd trainer before getting my own truck. My 2nd trainer was great and he said it takes most of his students 6-8 months to become solid at backing.Also my 1st trainer had me back into a space where the trailers were 3-4 inches apart from each other which he took over for me . My 2nd trainer even said I should not have done that on my 1st week. Trainer 1 also told me to run stop signs. Another time I was driving around a truck stop and I stopped near the entry/exit because a truck was pulling out it blocked my view of trucks coming in. He advised me to go around the truck, just as he said that a truck pulled in. Good thing I stopped. And since going solo I am vastly better at backing than when I first started and my shifting has gotten better as well another thing I was criticized for. It’s funny how I perform much better when I don’t have someone yelling and criticizing me constantly.One last thing he said to me which was really messed up was when you hit something I hope it’s just a truck or pole and not a person.

Maverick Griff and Wargames Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Most of those training companies suck.
    You got to start somewhere though

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You are not supposed to learn a thing about driving from them, you are supposed to learn how the company works, how you are supposed to fit in and how to cheat on your logs by using the other driver's log.

5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I can't say if all trainers suck. I only had one. He yelled at me and cursed me repeatedly. It'll give you thick skin. You'll sure need it out here. Despite the yelling, he taught me a lot. He made a runner out of me. He built up my endurance to run miles regardless of weather, day, night, it didn't matter.

Maverick Griff Thanks this.
  6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Do all students suck?

DAX_, PacoTaco, buddyd157 and 9 others Thank this.
  7. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    Do all the roads in Indiana suck?

DAX_, tommymonza, Vic Firth and 3 others Thank this.
  8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Not nearly as bad as the roads in Pennsylvania

DAX_ and Guitar Man Thank this.
  9. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I was with a guy one day only. Claimed he had been a trainer for Knight.
    I could swear his objective was to get me to cop an attitude.
    I sincerely do think that is the only way the two digit IQ’s can concentrate and apply their brains.
    You don’t wanna hear the specifics of my experience with this ‘trainer’. Let’s just say; ludicrous.

Maverick Griff Thanks this.
  10. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Are roads everywhere under construction right now?
    I was taught by a swift trainer to drive until my eyes felt like sandpaper. This was before elog.

11. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I was a trainer for 1-2 year. I can say the mega company don't give you any time to train. They tell the trainer your job is to make sure the load are their on time every time. Then dispatch you 5,000-6,000 miles a week. The new driver is tired, the trainer is tired. See the problem.

Most new drivers would never take the time to really learn anything. I tried to show them how to plan a trip(before GPS) and read a map. They get mad when I told them we need the miles for every state we are going to drive thru. Most could not figure that out, just like me when I first started.

Maverick Griff and Ryan423 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.