Do any companies or schools administer their own CDL tests?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by notld75, Feb 17, 2018.

1. notld75

notld75 Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2018
    Or does a state tester have to be the one to administer the test and be the one to pass you? If companies or schools are allowed to do their own testing and passing, do you know which ones?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    God no.

CDL is Federally Regulated.

It passes to the 50 States to provide a common Federal CDL and related testing for Commercial Driving.

No company or school or anyone in these United States currently have the ability to issue or test for a CDL.

What they DO however is train a person just ENOUGH to pass a State Test without killing people in a Semi.

The REAL training and learning takes place when Person with new CDL gets first job.

notld75 Thanks this.
  4. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    The testers at my school worked for a local school bus company. How they got to be certified examiners i have no idea but they were.

notld75 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Truckers and Bus Drivers do not always get along.

I checked the requirements in our little humble school district. The mountain of inkjet certs imposed on the poor screambox driver... tsk tsk tsk. Maybe it's a good thing they only drive like a hour twice a day with a load.

Had one years ago who worked a farm all his life in the mud. Came in handly when a winter blizzard impacted our school and we were shipped home early. Two feet of powder and piling. Slid all over two counties on back roads away from traffic. They had us sit near the steer so that the whipsaw of that bus back there didnt create a puking mess. That was fun.

notld75 and Kyle G. Thank this.
  6. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Prime has their own certified testers & are monitored by State officers.

I believe there are other Megas that have same situation, but cannot say w/certainty which ones.

notld75 Thanks this.
  7. AUfan78

AUfan78 Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Mobile, Alabama
    In Alabama the only third party testers are through the community colleges who also have an eight week training course. Any other trucking schools in the state still have to use dmv testers or the community college testers. the local CC charges $150 for testing or $200 if they provide the truck.

notld75 Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I think there is one now able to run people under 21 and not have the necessary CDL stuff that we have. Or had. I'll have to see about digging that up again. It's fairly recent.

FullMetalJacket and notld75 Thank this.
  9. notld75

notld75 Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2018
    I read this in Illinois about third-party testers.

"Third-Party Certification Program which allows these entities to conduct CDL skills and road exams for CDL Classes A, B, C, and M, for employees needing a CDL for daily operations.

Third-Party Certification Program

10. mindes

mindes Medium Load Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Crestview, Fl
    Florida allows third party testers. TDI uses them in house

11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Michigan uses (requires?) a 3rd party tester also.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.