Do any local jobs allow for free time?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by SandyEggo518, Oct 10, 2021.

1. SandyEggo518

SandyEggo518 Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Im currently OTR for prime. I want to go local or dedicated and get some kind of routine to my schedule. I like going to bed and waking up around the same time. And I want to be able to have normal relationships with people. Something like, working 6am to 6pm Mon-Fri. And still getting decent pay. Or maybe going out for 4 days a week on a dedicated route, and then 3 days off. Or something.

Are there any jobs like that? I don't want to change companies and then find out that there's no free time in local work either. I just want to be able to have some down time. Currently I work all day, and when I'm not working im sleeping. It's not exactly an ideal way of life.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    Yea there stuff like that out there but it's more then likely be more Physically demanding.
    I don't now what city you live by but it ain't a bad gig delivering food/drinks to local schools and businesses

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Yes, there are many home daily jobs. Most of them schedule tou to work 60-70 hours per week. Many of them may assign you a regular start time, but it could be a night job. Research your area.

5. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    https://www.thetruckersreport.com/t...his-forum-is-full-of-horrible-people.2332666/

Now all the sudden you want our advice after calling us horrible people? LOL Ok...

To answer your question, yes there are plenty of sweet local gigs out there. I’ve been a local driver for most of my career. Most of the local jobs you hear about are the LTL companies (Old Dominion, Estes, XPO, etc.) or beverage/food deliveries. All of those can pay very well but involve a lot of work and a tight schedule. Also there is fuel delivery with a tanker, which a lot of people really enjoy doing but that’s not my thing so I don’t know anything about it.

My job doesn’t pay so great, but it’s a nice laid back atmosphere. I load and unload myself with my own forklift so I don’t have to follow anyone else’s schedule and I usually don’t even have to talk to anyone. And I usually do less than 55 hours a week. I’ll take it.

6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I'm home most every night and have most weekends off. But my schedule is not set in stone by any means. I still do the occasional 2 to 4 day run, or have to leave the house at 0300 sometimes. And the pay is comparable to what I made OTR, sometimes even better if we are really busy.

Dave_in_AZ, bryan21384, Coffey and 3 others Thank this.
  7. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    Your current "Free Time" is of what remains before and after your agreed "Work Time".
    You want more "Free Time", simply decrease your horrible "Work Time".

CHEERS!!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    Reason for edit: other
    Kyle G. Thanks this.
  8. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    i have a lot of free time doing night shift linehaul, but it's doesn't line up with anyone else's free time unless it's a weekend or holiday.

9. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    A lot of local jobs that are out and back you'll be starting your day around 1:30-4:00am so you can kick the load off early in the morning then pick up your load for the next day.

Some people hate it but i don't mind starting real early like that. I've been having 6am delivery times with my reload picking up at 11am 3.5 hours away. Leave the yard around 2:45am and back around 1pm most days. ~400 mile days

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  10. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
  11. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Don’t let these guys deter you it’s definitely out there.. especially if you have all endorsement. I haul fuel and most I do is pull a 20 foot hose of my side tray, cause of a funky station set up(usually a 7 foot hose). But I get in and out the truck 6 times and some consider that hard work. But the options are endless.. you can also do Linehaul/ ltl, which with a little time and seniority you can had whatever run you bid for

Hazmat Cat and Kyle G. Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.