Do Carriers/Truck Drivers care what surety bond company a freight broker has?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by LQTMAN, Feb 4, 2015.

1. LQTMAN

LQTMAN Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2013
    North Carolina
    I am going to open a freight brokerage and my last step is to get bonded, with the BMC-84 surety bond or BMC-85 Trust.

From a truck driver or carrier perspective, does having one or the other hold any more or less legitimacy and assurance in their mind?

Or does it not matter to them whether you have the BMC-84 or BMC-85?

And on top of that if their is in fact a preference, is their any particular surety or trust company that stands out, that carriers unilaterally trust and can count on to haul freight for a new broker . .

Thanks for any helpful thoughts.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigdaddy music man

bigdaddy music man Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2015
    Surety Bond companies BMC-84, will fight your claims with experienced agents. BMC-85 is your money, and you will roll the dice with your own cash on settlement claims etc, hoping that the trust officer will know how to fight for you instead of just writing a check to settle.

4. LQTMAN

LQTMAN Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2013
    North Carolina
    Hi Big Daddy,

I understand the difference between the two. I'm just curious if a truck driver sees a load posted and wants to do business with a broker, does he or she check to see the bonding the broker has? Or does it not matter . . .

5. bigdaddy music man

Feb 4, 2015
    Hell yes it matters. If you have claims against you for any reason, you most likely will not be touched.

6. LQTMAN

LQTMAN Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2013
    North Carolina
    Lol you still don't understand my question. All I'm asking is if a carrier cares or not on whether the broker has the 84 or 85. Is the 84 preferable? The 85? Or does it not matter AT ALL? And if does matter, is there a particular surety or trust company carriers respect more than others.

7. bigdaddy music man

Feb 4, 2015
    No, a carrier usually does not care.

8. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Nope doesn't matter to me which one you have.

Getting into the business think about what to do if something goes wrong. Damage freight, insurance claims, breakdowns, delays

9. LQTMAN

LQTMAN Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2013
    North Carolina
    6wheeler,

That's a good point. You've been in the industry longer than I have. Who is typically responsible for damaged freight? The shipper or the carrier? Also, do shippers have insurance for their cargo or do they solely rely on carriers and brokers insurance policies . .

10. bigdaddy music man

Feb 4, 2015
    If your load is sealed, then its the shippers responsibility. If not sealed, then its yours.

11. bigdaddy music man

Feb 4, 2015
    If you are hauling via flatbed or any other open type trailer, then its totally your responsibility. Because, you are in total control of that load during the loading and unloading. Unless a forklift driver damages it during this process and it is witnessed and reported properly relieving you of any claims.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.