Do fleets get a massive discount off fuel at Pilots/Petro?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TruckRunner, Dec 9, 2018.

1. TruckRunner

TruckRunner Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2017
    Or are they willing to pay so much more for fuel due to having an account to track their drivers? I know that carrier fuel cards offer some discount but dont understand why the Pilot is packed with $3.30 fuel when the Shell with a diesel fuel island at $2.56 per gallon is empty. I can only assume the fleets get a far better secret price.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Because they get $2.53 at Pilot..

4. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Pilot/Flying J is a one stop shop... showers are nicer now, food is decent (even though it is pricey), and if you need to get minor work done you can do it at some Flying J. Some shell don't even offer showers and the ones that do are not as nice, you can't get work done at a Shell for the most part, BUT the food is usually cheaper... Parking is usually an abundance at a Flying J as well...I will not pay for a shower and If i see a driver struggling and IF I do not have any shower credits I will pay for his shower... As far as discounts YES Mega fleets do Great discounts... I wish I got what Landstar and CFI got...

PE_T and Grubby Thank this.
  5. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Big fleets get huge discounts at the chain truck stops. It’s all in the deal:). Megas have purchasing power smaller company’s don’t have

PE_T, gentleroger and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  6. TruckRunner

TruckRunner Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2017
    I'm gonna be a mega one day. Pay drivers 30 cents per mile with free truck schooling and 400 a week with a trainer great deal for newbies...

7. 18 wheels of fury

18 wheels of fury Light Load Member

Oct 31, 2015
    Houston

8. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    Seeing what the megas pay for fuel and what we pay for fuel would only infuriate you.. I was leased to a carrier that wasn’t a mega but decent size and was on a cost plus and the discount was .40 .65 cents per gallon, I can only imagine what the 20k truck fleets are paying for it, they are probaly getting it at cost or plus 1-3 cents just for the foot traffic in the store...

The best discount I get today is at loves, but half the time I fuel, I avoid loves, loves gives the best discount to just about any fleet and that creates a cluster F at the fuel island, not to mention the latest trend of lazy trucker who won’t walk the 50 extra feet from the parking lot and just park in the fuel island for 30 minute breaks and god knows what.. it’s getting to where I hate buying fuel and just pay more to get it at other places to avoid the frustrations of fueling at the mega chains.. I have a bad temper and already got into it with a few lazy d-bags and am scared to death I’m gonna wind up in jail 1000 miles from home so try to stay clear of the hot spots, I been on the road long enough to know which stops are cluster f and which ones I can ease in and ease out of and for the most part, that eliminates MOST loves lol

9. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I am pleased to a megacarrier, and that's better than the discount we get a Loves or PFJ. Our discounts at TA/Petro vary by location, but the top out at about 65 cents per gallon.

TruckRunner Thanks this.
  10. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    A lot of the fuel going through the tanks at any major fuel outlet, Pilot/FJ, TA/Petro etc doesn't belong to them.
    Here is how it works. Megas buy huge quantities of diesel (millions of gallons) on the futures markets for delivery at specific times and locations. They cut a deal with the truckstop to accept delivery 7000 gallons at a time, drop it in the ground, and charge say $.05 per gallon handling fee. If the Mega buys more fuel than they dropped in the ground, they buy existing fuel at a predetermined heavily discounted price.
    You will never figure out who is paying how much for what in the oil business at those levels.

Bean Jr. and Mooseontheloose Thank this.
  11. Shadow3829

Shadow3829 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Yes. The company I work for is owned by Bison in Canada. Although we are separate companies we still get the same discounts as Bison.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.