Do many truck drivers wear a classic Casio LCD watch?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by TomCougar, Mar 11, 2020.

1. TomCougar

TomCougar Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Lawton, OK
    I always thought is was America's workhorse timepiece for working class America.
    Here is a few tips on maintaining that wirst gem.

Casio classic LCD watch maintenance.

An x acto/hobby knife can gently pry up the battery clip. A tweezers works as a jumper for reset. Don't lose that little spring! Novus plastic scratch remover restores the crystal. A microfiber cloth and a cotton swab is handy along with a drop of monitor screen cleaner in spray bottle to clean finger smudges under the crystal and on the LCD numbers display. A hobby paint brush will remove dust particles from inside of watch case and on display window interior. You may also blast watch case interior with compressed air before reassembly. A jet of warm massage water from shower head will blast out accumulated residue and plastic polish around crystal and watch case seam after watch is put back together and sealed water resistant again.

There is nothing as sweet as a classic Casio LCD watch in all-metal case.

I have the A168 ElectroLumenance Illuminator model from Walmart 6 years ago. The battery quit after 6 years. This watch was $15 new. A new one from Walmart is about $19 new. My watch is bright chrome/silver finish.

A have a twin brother to this watch that I bought also for formal dress so it doesn't get scratched from daily use.

I use Speidel Twist O Flex expansion bands. It gives any watch a nice new twist!

Watch battery video:

Why a wrist watch? I'm not a zombie that walks around with a smartphone glued to his hand. That's why.

austinmike, Numb and rachi Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    @Mike2633 ... you have yours on?!? ;) @bzinger ?!? @JReding ?!? @scottied67 ... I've seen your watches in your videos.. it's really nice, but not a Casio, IIRC?

Here's mine: Lifetime warranty....don't need DIY.

[​IMG]

Mike2633, Tall Mike, JReding and 2 others Thank this.
  4. MericanMade

MericanMade Heavy Load Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    Apple watch for me. At first I resisted it as a ridiculous idea, but the more I found out what all it does, I bought one. I hate having to dig my phone out of my pocket just to see who's calling me or to read a text. Reminders pop up on it. I can monitor my heart rate while doing cardio, control my podcasts and music, make phone calls, record voice memos to myself, and even use it, along with my phone, as an inspection camera (using the phone with light on as the camera, and the watch as the monitor).

It alone has made me a slave to Apple, Inc. :D

5. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I have a Citizen. I wear it when I am home too, which usually involves being in a suit.

JReding, G13Tomcat and rachi Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I just use the angle of the sun in the sky. Its an OIT I've picked up.

7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I worked construction for decades, so my go to watches were always the cheapest ones I could find. I do have some dress watches, my favorite is the Longines which cost me $1000. The second hand sweeps the dial as smooth as any Rolex.

8. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
  9. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    had an analog Casio with a little steel wire over crystal to prevent damage. bought it in 1983 and it died about 5 yrs ago.

now wear a Timex Expedition Scout. analog and waterproof.

always look for waterproof, not resistant, it helps protect from vibrations like motorcycle riding, lawn mowing. the vibrations can make the seal go bad.

Bean Jr. and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  10. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    For years, I've only owned Citizen watches, and I have always worn silver with blue face, analog, and date/day. I've had this one about ten years now.

IMG_20200311_123454.jpg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Bean Jr. and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  11. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Everywhere you look and everything you have these days has the capability to tell the time.

although I have a few nice pieces I don’t see the need to ever wear them

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.