Do mega carriers tell your dispatch if you have a minor accident? Living it down.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by rolldice25, Sep 26, 2022.

1. rolldice25

rolldice25 Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2022
    I had an accident (minor property damage) my 2nd month on the road on my own. My trailer barely kissed the tail light of an oversized bodykit pickup truck, popped the tail light, and damaged the bumper a bit. It was a dumb mistake, and I'm being a lot more careful now in those tight turns. No excuses, but it was on a run that was already running late when I got it, and my biggest mistake was not shutting down at the loves just before it happened, which I almost did.

The accident was reported to the company. The weeks after the incident, my dispatch were pretty much the same. Safety person on phone told me not to worry about it, I was hoping things would be ok, provided it never happens again.

However, I was required to watch a safety class before the end of the month, I didn't finish all the videos, still had (supposedly) four days left to complete it, but my account got locked early, and that's how the person who hands out the runs found out. I think maybe this effects their bottom line some how, and now I have their ire.

Now i'm only getting #### tier runs, and this individual's tone went from uncomfortably nice, to real nasty.

Should I expect to stop getting the good runs now? I feel like maybe the company prevents the dispatch people from knowing who was involved in incidents for this reason; but now they know, and I have this target on my back from them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Stuff happens, especially when we're in a hurry. Everyone makes mistakes, those who say they don't are liars. If it were me I'd just come straight out and ask about it. "Am I getting junk runs because I screwed up?" While they probably won't give you a truthful answer, at least they know that you know something is up and they might communicate better

4. fishonron

fishonron Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2017
    North Central Kansas
    Talk to Safety and get the vids and test (if there is one) done.

As far as your dispatcher, my experience has been, as long as you're doing the work on time and you're not a PIA being a high maintenance, whiny driver, then you're golden.

5. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    The dispatcher probably was tasked with making sure you completed the safety vids. When you didn't he may have been chewed out and is now pissed at you for getting him in trouble. As well a dispatcher is supposed to know what is going on with their drivers at all times ... you blind sided him.

The name of the game in this business is communicate, communicate with everyone and often. Your dispatcher should have been called as soon as you got in an accident.

Even a hint of looking Iike you are willing to hide bad news will shatter your company's and the people you work with confidence in you.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    RockinChair and Moosetek13 Thank this.
  6. Jenkins2020

Jenkins2020 Light Load Member

May 28, 2020
    Dispatcher knows. At my old starter company I got into a few minor incidents with stationary objects. Mirror damage,etc. Rookie mistakes. Speed got bumped down to 62. Went from getting 900 mile loads to 400-500. Got random drugged tested 2 times within that year too. It's their way of passively encouraging you to quit.

7. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    It sounds to me like you were put in a high risk group because of the accident.
    Add to that, you have been lax in completing your safety classes.
    That shows them that you simply don't care.

And if you don't care, why should they?

It is up to you to prove yourself to them, not the other way around.

dunchues Thanks this.
  8. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    2 weeks in as solo I hit a pole and damaged a fender.
    For the next year I was 'random' tested at least every 2 months, sometimes twice in a week.
    Often those tests came just as I was coming back from home time.

It wasn't trying to get me to quit - it was a safety measure.

An accident put me in a high risk category so I was tested more often.
    These days I might go over a year without a random. Or there might be a couple within a few months because it is random.
    But the high risk drivers are on a weighted random list.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.