Do noise filters for CB radios work???

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by clantonman1983, Apr 21, 2009.

1. clantonman1983

clantonman1983 Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2009
    clanton, al
    Ok, I have another question...

I am driving a 2007 chevrolet colorado with my Cobra 25 ltd classic... radio works great, I'm getting some kick ### range and as far as i can tell, everybody else i talk to is saying i'm blowing smoke... so, I'm good in that department... BUT! my question is about noise filters....

I am not a trucker, so I am not on the interstate a lot. some of my driving is simply around town where I live, so I'm picking up interference in some areas. I can still transmit clearly but sometimes my recieve can get staticky... I believe the reason for that is because there are just some parts of town here where things will cause interference, because i have a couple of other friends that catch interference on their radios in the exact same spots...

I was wondering, do noise filters really work good for CB's? and if so, what would be a good brand to maybe purchase? A trucker told me yesterday on the radio that it was a waste of money but I was just going to throw this out there to see what everybody thought about it....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    Ive tried several over the years and never had any real(worth the price) benefit from having them.

Static is just part of the game

4. thetez

thetez Medium Load Member

Jul 10, 2006
    if ya find anything that works let me know. ive tried all sorts and no luck

5. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    The only "Noise Filters" I have ever seen for use on a CB, are designed to filter out noise coming in your radio threw the Hot Power wire that causes static...Like alternator whining noise, and stuff like that. And most of that noise can be eliminated by proper RF-grounding.

One of the best noise filters on the market is the N-700 made by David Navone. They were designed for use with High Watt car stereos, but also work well with CB's. I have one in my Suburban, and My Ford Van. But they only filter out noise coming in threw the power wires, and NOT noise that comes in threw the antenna.

mike5511 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  6. rusty711

rusty711 Bobtail Member

May 5, 2009
    Oklahoma OK
    I use one called "The Bandit"

7. kyjsw1974

kyjsw1974 Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I installed a Bandit 120 Watt 10 AMP CB/Stereo Noise Filter on my CB in an effort to eliminate engine noise that changes with the RPM's. It seemed to help some but that could possibly be my fault. I connected an external power mic-echo-roger beep box to the filter along with the radio. To achieve better results, I may have to remove the external box as the filter may not be capable of filtering both devices.

Update: I have removed the external box from the filter and soldered all connections. When I return to work Monday I will see if it actually works or if it was just a waste of money.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Reason for edit: Updated
  8. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Nice timing on this thread revival

UPS Santa just today brought me a:

DC Voltage Common Mode 30A/600V Noise Filter

RFI-DC-30
    Palomar Engineers

We will see. And if ain’t the thing in the big truck, then maybe in the pickup or travel trailer.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  9. TheRATT

TheRATT Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    Can you guys put a link up for The Bandit? And Slowmover1 I'll be interested in hear how that does.

I have had great results to zero results.

1990s cars, very good results... my 2013 Chevrolet can generate S2 to 3 of ignition noise. Ugh.

10. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Best Bet, is to just do some bonding and grounding...And make sure you don't have your coax ran next to power wires...The radios power wire should be ran straight to the battery and not the fuse box or cigarette lighter...Good grounding works best to filter out whining noises.

The noise filters will work to a point, but the better you have your ride grounded, the better off you'll be...and probably won't need the noise filter...(FYI- tail pipes can act like a long antenna and broadcast noise into your radio, run a ground strap off the tail pipes to the frame will stop the pipes from radiating noise)

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  11. kyjsw1974

kyjsw1974 Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2018
    You can find the Bandit filters on EBay. That's where I got mine. I have yet to have very much success with a filter but I am still troubleshooting and looking for grounding issues that could be preventing it from working. Good luck

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.