Do these trucking companies that off "free" CDL training, still charge you?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by notld75, Feb 19, 2018.

1. notld75

notld75 Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2018
    Say for example Swift, if you go to through their training or a third party school that they pay for and you go through everything but fail the test at the State exam and do not get your license, do you still owe for the training? Do any other companies still charge you if you do not pass and get your CDL after they trained you?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Travisroland

Travisroland Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2015

4. notld75

notld75 Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2018
    I see it is easy to be accepted to start training but they test at the DMV, so it is not Swift that will pass you. I wonder if you do fail at the DMV, if you are still obligated to pay for the training you received.

5. Travisroland

Travisroland Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2015
    I guess your going to have to ask the recruiter that kind of question.I seriously don’t think there is a bunch of CDL School drop outs monitoring this site.You no you can take the test as many times as you want.They give you all the answers. Believe me the CDL exam should be the least of your worries.Most people can’t handle the trucker lifestyle long enough to become a pro.You will pass the test if you want the license bad enough.

6. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Yep. They give you x # of chances. I failed. Had to pay it back. Only way, they told us in the begining, is if we got sent home for medical reasons or for unforseen circumstances.

Each school is different though. Good luck.

notld75 Thanks this.
  7. notld75

notld75 Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks. Did you eventually get your CDL? How did that go?

8. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Yes I did. Came home and found a school here at home and did that. Lot better quality of school.

You don't have to go that route. You can attend a community college. Call you local unemployment office tomorrow. Each state has a program, qnd the name varies by state, here in Ohio it's called the WIA program. It's a program where the government will pay for you to get re-trained in a new field like truck driving. It is a grant you aint got to pay back and then you can go to a community college and that allows you to choose the company you want to work for and not have to pay them back.

9. Streetroddreams

Streetroddreams Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2017
    North Central Missouri
    Wow never thought I would hear of anyone worried about not getting a cdl...lol
    Seriously though when my neighbors kid went through covenant he took forever but they finally passed him

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You will pay.

You put up 7000 dollars of someone's taking a risk on you learning and passing.

You are going to pay that money back essentially.

Should you fail to pay that back, you are going to get hounded until it's paid at interest rates that will sicken you.

When I went to school I had 2500 dollars of uncle sam's money handed over. It would have been no problem paying that back in two months flat in bulk trucking, at about 4000 plus net.

Follow me?

When I saw those nice huge paychecks, I squealed with joy and say OH GOOD!

Pa would growl OMG... here we go again.

11. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    yeah this is one of my pet hates businesses offering something for free it seems to work so well they all use it, however we all know the phrase "nothing in life comes for free" my question would be "Whats the catch?" Are you obligated to stay with them for a certain period of time? If you don't are you obligated to pay for your training? Yeah i'll bet its all in the fine print.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.