Do They Check Your Medical Records?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by park, Jun 16, 2010.

1. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    Just wait a few years until you are on a medication that is NOT a disqualifier by the DOT, but no company will touch you because of it. I guarantee you will not list that on the forum where it ask what medications you are on. With everyones records on a centeral data base, you would be out of a job. Things look black and white when you're young and healthy.

I know of some people that have been on medications that companies will not accept, but they have been safely driving for over 20 years while taking said medication.

mje Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    The company CAN request additional information from your doctor concerning your health. It depends on the information needed.

In the case of the diabetes waiver, they may want additional facts concerning the health of the driver and the past history of the illness before determination of hiring.

The same would hold true with a medical history of heart disease, bypass or attack.

If you think that not telling them is the way to go, be advised that IF you have an accident your medical history will be reviewed.

If your truck is searched and medicine is found and issued prior to the medical card and not shown, you could have problems.

You can also be alot like some of the people here and just think it will not happen to you or you will not be searched.

Believe what you want.

truckerdave1970, sammycat and mje Thank this.
  4. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY

mje Thanks this.
  5. park

park Bobtail Member

May 31, 2010
    Buda, TX
    I've been poking this forum with a stick trying to get an idea how this medical thing works in the trucking industry, thanks for the replys and hopefuly this thread will bring more info to the table.

In my original post I said "I wasn't trying to bet the system" well...............I been thinking about it for a few months but it's not worth taking the chance.

I had my CDL 27 years ago then got into aviation and flew planes for 24 years, got the big D and had to start using insulin, so I was grounded in 2004.

I love anything and everthing to do with transportation. After getting laid off from an office job I have been helping my son in law start a hot shot car transport business. The only reason I rode (and drove under 26,001 lbs, stupid rules)with him because I've aways been at home around trucks and heavy equipment.

Now he has some aluminum ramps:biggrin_255: and he's a great driver ready for solo now, so it's time for me to move on. I was having so much fun I thought about getting into trucking but it would be a hassle with my health. BTW, I'm in good shape.

Good luck to you guys and drive safe.

mje Thanks this.
  6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    The problem with diabetes is whether you are insulin dependent or not for the start.

mje Thanks this.
  7. stranger

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    People can believe me or not. Within a few years a drivers health history will be available on line to certified DOT doctors before you will be able to get a medical card. This is already in the works. This is why we keep hearing of government certified doctors for DOT physicals, and why there is a push for medical records being put into a data base. If you want to drive, you will sign that waiver.

As it is right now, you can be on 20 different pills and have a major illness. If you can take your meds, and look and act decent, you can lie on the forums and pass a DOT physical with a doctor that does not know you. Someone in Washington found this out, thus the reasons for the changes.

mje Thanks this.
  8. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Unfortunately you are 100 percent correct! Which is precisely why my time in this industry is extremely limited. Even though i have been diagnosed with a disqualifying condition but somehow, in spite of the "experts" and all their fancy college degrees, i have managed to do my job for the last 12 years and to date, knock on wood 3 times, i have never had a problem!!!

Eric007 and born&raisedintheusa Thank this.
  9. park

park Bobtail Member

May 31, 2010
    Buda, TX
    I'm not sure what you are saying?

10. stranger

Oct 10, 2006
    NC

If you have to take shots, you are disqualified from driving.

mje Thanks this.
  11. park

park Bobtail Member

May 31, 2010
    Buda, TX
    No, that's not correct. You can get a waiver but it's a PIA and $

mje Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.