Do They Check Your Medical Records?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by park, Jun 16, 2010.

1. RoadsideWellCare

RoadsideWellCare Bobtail Member

May 25, 2010
    Hubbard, OH
    Dave,

Ironhand gave you the correct answer to this.

But to clarify, or muddy things up even further .... number 37

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/topics/medical/faqs.aspx#question37

I know....this still leave things up for subjectiveness and opinion. Sorry.

I am glad you have not had a problem in these past 16 years. I wish to you many more safe ones.

truckerdave1970 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    Looks like there was some thinning of the herd earlier. A certain rude post is missing.

4. openmind

openmind Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2011
    Buffalo NY
    I'm New Here. Let's say you take something like Klonopin for anxiety but you get a letter from your doctor that this does not impede your ability to operate a truck. Do companies have the right to ask that doctor to see his records to verify his opinion ? Thanks.

mje Thanks this.
  5. JestCat

JestCat Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    BUMP! Yes, I agree with "openmind." If anyone knows please post..

6. truckerdad57

truckerdad57 Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Batavia, IL
    Openmind....

YES the company can ask.. and the medical examiner giving your your DOT medical exam most likely will too.

7. honeybeeseneca

honeybeeseneca Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2020

8. honeybeeseneca

Mar 6, 2020
    Knight Transportation requires your annual physical report from your Dr including labs to be given to the HR department if you don't want to pay higher insurance rates and deductibles. Alternately you can go to a terminal when they are administering biometric screenings and again They keep those records. Either way, if you want to keep your medical records private, you have to pay significantly higher premiums.

9. honeybeeseneca

Mar 6, 2020
    There are already companies that demand your medical records. Knight Transportation requires a copy of your annual physical from your Dr including lab results be provided to HR in order to get a lower premium on your health insurance. Alternately a driver can submit to biometric screenings performed at a terminal and again, the company keeps the records. They claim they are HIPPA trained so they won't share the info. I was mad that I had to share it with them or pay a higher premuim and $1500 higher deductible to protect my privacy.

10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    A carrier can ask for any record they deem necessary to determine a drivers fitness to drive. This can be anything from the physical itself all the way to having a drivers medical provider sending them a signed statement. As a driver in almost every instance you have a choice. Comply with the request or find another job. Its just what it is.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    All Doctors, PA (Assistants) Nursing, Pharmacy etc. Check YOU personally against the state Prescription Monitoring Board (And have the power to write to it with new information pertaining to you) By law they are to check that BEFORE entering your room to see you for whatever reason.

They will know everything about your medicine situation to start off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.