Do they run you ragged the first 4 to 6 weeks with trainers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 777lonewolf, Jun 13, 2008.

1. 777lonewolf

777lonewolf Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Tennessee
    Just wanted to no any one that worked with PAM weather or not if they got done with there trainer within 4 weeks or had to do all 6 weeks and also wanted to no did you have to do most of the driving and how many miles did they make you drive because am told onces done with my 3 week class for my CDL will only get pay checks for $300.00 a week for 4 to 6 weeks then get paid mileage.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. latanea

latanea Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2007
    cincinnati (sharonville)
    pam like most otr companies will push you as a new driver (and as a trainee) to see what your limits are.

running day after day - thousands of miles a week are not as easy as it is to talk about it.

I trained MANY students in the last 10 yers and the big thing I found (even with myself ) was that it takes time to develop your butt! sitting long hours takes some getting used to - but in time you will find that you can go a bit further than you did previously - and all the while maintain safety and run compiant.

good luck with pam - and always be willing to learn and ASK QUESTIONS before you "need" to ask them.:biggrin_25519:

4. thestoryteller

thestoryteller Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Kern County, California
  5. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    they can't force any driver to do anything over the limit (run illegal.) just like they can't force you to learn how to spell or construct a coherent sentence. they "only" pay you $300 a week in training? they shouldn't pay trainees ANYTHING - it is of NO benefit for the company to have 2 people in the truck unless they're team driving. and if the trainer is in the sleeper, there is NO training going on!

6. latanea

latanea Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2007
    cincinnati (sharonville)

i do not agree with your post -:biggrin_25513:

a trainee does need an income - without a small check most drivers would go hungry...

look at training as an apprenticeship..

and the company has a lot to benefit from a new driver that knows their system and needs.

also every moment behind the wheel for a new driver is a moment learning something.

even when the trainer is napping the trainee is learning.

the trainer is there for clarification and to correct when gross errors are on the horizon.

7. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    as a current trainee, I agree. If I weren't paid - even as little as it is - as a trainee, I'd be doing something else.

A trainee SHOULD get paid. he is performing work for the company as he learns. No, he shouldn't get what a qualified driver gets, but he should be compensated. For all that the trainer is training me, it's ME driving that truck.

Where I have my quibble with the training process is in most company's rigid adherence to a schedule. "You will spend X hours on the road with a trainer". To me that is utter BS. You should spend as much time on the road with a trainer as you need. Up to a point, of course.

But if the trainee ready in 1 week - or 5 - , have the trainer sign off on the trainee. Whenever the trainer signs off, the trainee then undergoes another set of tests (independent of the trainer, of course). If he passes, he gets his truck. If not, it's the company's option to place him with a new trainer or to let the trainee seek employment elsewhere. If the trainees fail out too often from a given trainer - the trainer should be retrained.

8. Radman56

Radman56 Bobtail Member

May 2, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Hey Lurch,
    You went with May as I recall (hope this ole pea-brain remembers right), how is it?? I start with em on Wed.

9. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Radman

The pea hasn't shriveled up and blown away yet. Started with May 3 weeks ago (counting orientation). Done two weeks on road with trainer so far.

No problems with trainer - he's good, and patient.

I've driven 5500 miles in 2 weeks - which is right in the range I want to drive when I'm turned loose. Truck went just under 7K miles.

Had some scary moments - but they'd have been white knuckle in anybody's truck (VERY heavy rain and winds - empty trailer). Stupid stupid stupid 4-wheelers and other truckers.. yadda yadda

So far, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about them. Quite the opposite, actually. Been a lot of fun, in an old-fart kinda way. (I'm 50)

10. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX
    If no company paid their trainees to learn how to drive, then they wouldn't have any drivers period..I was paid the same $300 week with swift, and my trianer also helped me out with food, as my checks went to feed the wife and kids.. without his help I probably would not have even continued in truck driving..

11. thestoryteller

thestoryteller Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Kern County, California
    Are you sure?

Teachers have to do student teaching...... it is a full-time job...... without pay......for 6 months....... yet, we still have teachers......... :biggrin_25524:

I don't know..... it's an interesting issue..... maybe it would reduce the industries high turn-over rate....... it just might....... oh, well, not going to happen, so I guess it is a moot point .........

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.