Do turbos need exhaust backpressure?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by TallJoe, Feb 28, 2017.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I heard that especially newer trucks with dpf systems have turbos designed so that they need exhaust back pressure.Why would they need the back pressure? What good does it do? I am a layman on this... The exhaust fumes propel the turbines and then leave the system through dpf. What's defined as the back pressure here? The pressure on the turbine or the pressure generated by the fumes that already went past the turbo? If the latter then why the back pressure is of any significance on a turbo performance?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DL550CAT

DL550CAT Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa
    Back pressure after the turbo does not do any good.

4. Aradrox

Aradrox Heavy Load Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Does too it uhhhh makes things uhhhh pressury uhhh... Ok ya no good

5. benjamin260_6

benjamin260_6 Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Neither engines nor turbos require back pressure to work and they work best without any at all. That being said, it's my understanding that if there's no back pressure between the turbo and DPF, the ECM will assume the DPF is malfunctioning and throw a code but that has nothing to do with the turbo's ability to function correctly.

SnowMan24 and TallJoe Thank this.
  6. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    The turbo on my old '99 W9 with N14 works just awesome, and I've got straight pipes. No DPF, no muffler, no back pressure. She will peg the boost gauge around 1300 rpm and stay there till I back out. I don't know how it could possibly work any better.

7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    They need back pressure to ensure a turbo life of about 400,000 miles, at which point they sell you another one for some $6,000. Old turbo maybe $800 live for twice as long.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  8. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Too much back pressure on my N14 many years ago bent my turbo shaft. Had to replace my turbo & my muffler.

ShooterK2 and TallJoe Thank this.
  9. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    That's exactly how much I had to spend on mine (including actuator).The truck maybe worth 25k and the stupid turbo in it is 1/4 of the value. Nonsense!

ShooterK2 Thanks this.
  10. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    There reason I am asking about the back pressure is that some say that turbo needs it, others that it's quite contrary, that it in trucks with dpfs the turbos (including mine I had to replace a year and a half ago) are subjected of much more stress/soot and they go bad. Mine started making whizzing sounds again at high dynamic boosts (when I really step on it while I haul heavy) but not very consistently. Also the pipe going from it to air charge cooler, has some traces of oil. I don't lose oil, but it must be dripping some in to the pipe. So 6K again? Maybe I should leave the actuator and replace just the turbo. I am not doing it yet, but it seems imminent.

11. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Having said that. Had I not had DPF, would it be true to say that the turbo would have lasted longer?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.