Do you ever experience burn out?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lab work, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I must be sick I find driving more relaxing than about anything, other than a good rum and coke while watching a john wayne movie.

Lab work Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    You imagine if swift or any of the big companies would do that for their drivers? Wouldn't even have to pay for all of the plane tickets just get them decently discounted tickets to Disneyland or somewhere with their kids, might improve their drivers a bit or maybe a lot.

4. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    Is he capable of that most of his posts are the length of newspaper article, just stating facts not complaining about it.

bottomdumpin Thanks this.
  5. Lab work

Lab work Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    USA
    I thought these drivers are creating disneyland on the highway and in the TS.

Fuelinmyveins Thanks this.
  6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    When I was a company guy I got burned out but that was because I worked probably 20 hours a day. I was making decent money but I was not physically healthy. I was in my early 20s, my body could do it day in day out. Not so much anymore. It was my own doing, I did not know how to say no. Fast forward to today. As an o/o when the money is good, I work. I have worked pretty well straight through from Dec 27 to July 6. I have been off since then, customers have all slowed up and I don't want to look for new work. I know I have daily work coming up soon here as soon as the harvest kicks off and that will run to approximately Halloween. Following that the Christmas push and winter time across western Canada will kick into high gear and carry me through to June/July once again. To be honest, I prefer working in the winter. After 13 days off I am starting to go a little stir crazy. But my 10-12 week push is coming and will wear me out once again. So it's all good.

Lab work Thanks this.
  7. Lab work

Lab work Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    USA
    Normally when the check engine light appears it causes PTSD Professional Trucker Stress Disorder. Not so much today. It's actually quite convenient and somewhat humorous. Instead of being disappointed I can follow through on the plans that I worked on yesterday.

Because I am in Denver looks like a excellent opportunity to go to twin peaks. I may never have a opportunity like this again. Not sure what twin peaks has to offer. Any suggestions are appreciated.

8. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    I'm on a 5-6 day rotation. Get resets at home. I love doing what I do, burnout only comes at the end of a long, hot day, lol.

Lab work Thanks this.
  9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    For some, stress increases dramatically when they return home and they need to get back in the truck a few hours after hooking back up with the ball and chain.

Kshaw0960 and Lab work Thank this.
  10. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    These 16 hour days are pretty much doing me in. Granted it's nowhere near as bad as long-haul. But as always, things could be better.

I sometimes go in earlier to try and start my shuttling and end the night as early as possible. But as soon as I get to the yard, I'm told I have to actually load one or two dairies, myself. And then in addition to getting those two unloaded, I still have to get two or three more loads sitting in the yard delivered and unloaded as well. Sit and wait, sometimes an hour, sometimes 2-3 depending on how full the silos are at the plant.

I tell the bosses I'd rather just stick to getting the loaded trailers unloaded at the plants and I'll even take the longer waits at the Portales plant. But unfortunately, I haven't screwed up enough as a loader to be kept off the rolls. And if I did, they'd probably just fire me right there for failure to perform or whatever.

The money's alright. But the more you make, the more wars have to be paid for. And your ever increasing check is a surefire target.

As for how to possibly relax from those long nights of waiting? I'm stuck between finding a driving job with a set hours of 12's at night. No more, no less. Also, moving much closer to the recreational activities I actually like to do. Nothing kills your days off more than the fact that you'll probably be spending 6-8 or more hours driving your own personal vehicle to a group bicycle ride.

I already drive enough during the week. Why do I have to drive some more on days off?

Lab work Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.