Do you guys watch oil prices ?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by The Crossword Trucker, Nov 19, 2018.

1. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Or will that just make you crazy?
    Seems like the companies that provide all the oil field trucking jobs are in a lot of debt. How low do oil prices have to go before people start losing jobs or taking pay cuts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Anything 20 dollars oil or less. Means 1.20 gas for us after three months purchasing.

Oil companies got a hold of a tiger, they don't dare let go. It's not the oil men and wages anymore. They need Teachers and everyone else who has abandoned or quit their minimum wage or inadequate govt job to go to the oil fields. A CDL is something that will get you twice or three times normal pay. Tempts even me.

If you really want the best in the oil industry, learn Plant Operations in school and then become a refinery overseer or manager of some sort, they base pay 90K and 120 or more annual overtime. It don't take much over sight to fill a cracking tower 38 feet prior to heating.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. Rockdoctor

Rockdoctor Medium Load Member

Yes we watch. I find it very reassuring when the managers running our trucking company know the numbers and have an outlook on where things are heading. No one can accurately predict the price but there are some events you can be aware of and adjust.

For example, in 2020 all commercial ships will have to switch over to a cleaner type of diesel with less sulphur. This will make the demand (price) for light sweet crude even higher, some types of oil will fall very hard in price and diesel prices across the board for all industries will be increasing. As a trucking company you could put your head in the sand and just hope or use the data to help plan better for your business.

New rules on ship emissions herald sea change for oil market | Reuters

Also a lot of shale producers used the recent run up in oil price to lock in higher prices well into the future so if the price does plummet you can bet they will still be pumping at a steady rate.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Another event to consider is the pipeline bottleneck out of the Permian will be lifting in the backend of 2019. Producers are still drilling in the Permian but they are not fracking the wells yet. So come the Summer of 2019 there is expected to be a huge shortage of available crews service companies can provide. There are investors looking at this situation and eager to buy publicly traded oil services companies in any pullback for an expected run up into the middle of next year.

https://www.oilandgas360.com/oilfie...s-of-permian-basin-wells-to-sit-idle-in-2019/

A lot of companies in all industries are in debt, it is a result of the low interest rate environment. But many argue that we are still underinvested in the oil and gas energy sector and there will be huge shortfall in 2020-2023 if things remain as they are.

The company I work for is a division of Mammoth Energy Services (Ticker: TUSK). Mammoth has no debt, they pay a dividend and they are pouring money into the trucking division so you can't really say all producers or all oilfield service companies are in a bad situation.

SoTxTrucker, Lepton1, speedyk and 5 others Thank this.
  5. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    It could go up
    It could go down
    It could stay the same
    Hope this helps.

Lepton1, speedyk and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Since I bought a diesel pickup I’ve been keeping an eye on that.

7. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    Predicting the price of oil is a fools errand.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  8. Skypilotj

Skypilotj Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2017
    I do watch prices. Not predict tho.

9. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Still waiting for $5.00 per gallon diesel.

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  10. Tanker312

Tanker312 Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Lol. Funny you should say that...I left trucking to work in a plant here in west texas. I still keep my CDL active though.

As far as pay, its 85k base and 7 on/7off. So I make 85k working two weeks a month. You get some forced OT, so really you make 95k a year. The only way to get to 120k is working ALL the OT available. Which is hard to do, because you have other people who want it too.

Senior operators and managers make 150k+ depending on years, etc.

Good luck trying to get in though, there is a long line. Most say they want the job and quit (which blows my mind). Referrals are 99% of employees.

SoTxTrucker, Lepton1 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  11. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.