Do you have access to load boards?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rch10007, Sep 28, 2022.

1. rch10007

rch10007 Medium Load Member

May 26, 2007
    Madison, AL
    If so, have you bid unusually high rates today for loads you know you won't get?

Others, that you contract with, throw out stupid low rates. Those rates are a variable in the algorithm that calculates lane averages. There are people out there who see these low rates and actually take them because they believe the "average" rate just is what it is! This lowers the averages even further.

How do you combat low spot market rates? Carriers have a variable that we control which is a significant contributor to the algorithm. It's called rejection rates. When a carrier bids high and the broker rejects the rates, the software/database keeps those numbers and pull them into calculation to determine what it thinks the rates should be. The rates used are NOT only actual rates, but these rejection rates as well.

So, if enough people are bidding high and causing rejection, it will move the average rates higher. If carriers did this ALL the time, it would keep averages higher.

If you wondering where I got this info, I spoke to one of the programmers for software that sounds like Radar. They call it artificial intelligence...I call it variables in an equation. Equations are manipulated by its variables. You are one of those variables. You can impact the average rates by forcing brokers to reject high bids. So get out there and bid while you sitting there...

ABiceRoads Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    I don’t access any load boards that have a bid feature. Some have posted prices; some require a phone call/email.
    Which boards have the bidding features?

4. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Uber and a couple others are only ones that have bids. And even then they only go up like a marginal amount. Always have to call or email with the dat loads.

Best way to get too rates. Pickup from an area with lots of loads and no trucks, going to a crap location away from a city, and booking after 3-4pm where brokers feel pressured to move the load that day.

5. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    I have a business to run, not play games.
    I have a direct customer, regular brokerages, and spot market via dat. I have my rate and that’s it. I don’t play bidding games. I get called more than I look for a load. Reputation of service vs. lowest price winner.

6. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Bidding boards are not something that we entertain. Make calls and negotiate in real time. How is one going to build relationships by taking the non personal bidding process?

Megas and mega brokerage want this, as it gives them an advantage on you.

7. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Those lane average rates you see on DAT or Truckstop.com are supposedly based on the data from Factoring companies that partner with them.
    The bid features are on proprietary brokerage load boards. They may be on auto pilot during off hours but they rarely raise up significantly.
    Bidding can be only effective when overseen by someone from the brokerage who wants to move the load you bid on. They often call the bidder and still try to make him
    go lower.
    If given all the load info with who the shipper/receiver, commodity, appointment, and commodity is and when they agree on your rate then it can be interaction less.
    Uber and Convoy are based on that model.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    Siinman Thanks this.
  8. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    You are not going to build any relationship with Mega brokers anyway

9. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Could be but we’ve hauled some ultra good stuff for some mega broker agents. I’m just saying. No personal touch means no personal touch.

10. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Brokerages are like the corner grocery store. On the way out, Soon everyone will be on an app to either book or bid loads.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  11. Czar_Zero

Czar_Zero Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Orebegone.
    I've got access to Convoy but I don't use it. They don't post @#% for open deck anyway and they wouldn't accept my bids for the few and far between that come up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.