Do you have an FLD 120 with an N14?

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Dino soar, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    If so, could you tell me if you have spacers under your motor mounts?

I am putting a big cam engine into a truck that had a series 60, but the series 60 has spacers.

I need to know how the n14 sits in there. If you would not mind snapping a photo that would be even better.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    Come on guys!

Somebody on this whole Forum has to have an fld120 With an n14....

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Are you talking about the thin plates almost like shim?

5. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    See that's the thing. I'm not exactly sure. That's why a picture of how the engine mounts sit onto the truck mounts would help.

My truck had a series 60 engine in it. The series 60 has a spacer on the front mount that I didn't measure it but it's probably 2in or something like that. And the back mounts have some other kind of a spacer on them.

So when I put the big cam in there I don't know if that's too high or or if I set the engine mounts directly on top of the isolators on the chassis mounts if the engine is going to be in the wrong spot. The rear mounts on the bellhousing of the big cam sit in a different position than they do on the series 60.

So I need to know how the n14 is set up so that I can copy off of that. If the engine does not sit right the Driveline angles will be off.

Maybe there are different spacers for the n14?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    My series 60 had thin shins that I believe serve no other purpose but to isolate dissimilar metals between block and bracket.Almost lost a finger over it! Be careful Good Luck. Need vin # of a factory set up truck and a patient parts guy

7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I don’t remember any block on front mount

8. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I’m heading to Freightliner today will try to find out something. What year is your truck?

Dino soar Thanks this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Not to bother but can’t you measure front and rear side mounting points on both set ups and compare differences?

10. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    The block that was on the front motor mount surprised me. But when I pulled the engine out that block was definitely under it and they're also are spacers that had rubber between them on top of the regular isolators.

Thank you. The truck is a 95.

Well I'm not quite sure what to use as a reference point. The series 60 engine itself is smaller and the front mount bolts onto the engine, so I don't know how to compare that.

The rear mounts on the bellhousing on the big cam look like they are higher than the series 60.

So I'm not quite sure how to figure from the front mount to the back mount if there are any spacers or shims or anything that gives you the correct angle and correct height.

I did buy the correct motor mounts from Cummins for the FLD model. They are the correct motor mounts that I have. So it is just a matter of shims or spacers or nothing.

The early flds from 89 and I guess maybe 90 did have regular big cam engines in them. If I could see how an 89 with a big cam sets in there that would show me what's what The n14 is the same identical block so if I could see what originally is on there for the n14 that should make everything work out.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  11. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    If I can't find any information I guess I'm going to have to look around for one for sale that hopefully isn't too far from me and I'll have to go look at it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.