Do you have to drop off truck at a terminal or are you always allowed to take it home

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ThisisMeUsee, Mar 13, 2018.

1. ThisisMeUsee

ThisisMeUsee Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2018
    So I am learning/getting into the trucking industry and had a few questions. Where do you park truck? Do companies like Knight, CR England etc, allow you to take the truck (with trailer) near where you live or do you have to leave it at a terminal? But what if the terminal is very far from where you live? How does this work? Thank you

Phenomenal Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    They will all have different policies but most make allowances to park near home if you live more than X miles from the nearest terminal with available personal vehicle parking. But if you live inside of X miles, they may require you to park truck at terminal. But many also require to know the specific location where you would park and they will make the determination if that's okay based on information they can gather.

Some may or may not allow you to drop the trailer nearby and take the tractor home (Some don't allow drivers to drop trailers except at a regular customer that will allow, or a terminal)

Probably others will chime in with specifics about the major mega carriers like you're speaking of.

aussiejosh and ThisisMeUsee Thank this.
  4. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    most companies want the rig kept in a safe and secure location. truck stops don't really meet that.

I've always tried to get a job where the terminal is close. or at least a drop yard.

I also live in a neighborhood and city zoning prohibits truck parking.

homeskillet, Mike2633 and ThisisMeUsee Thank this.
  5. Viper 3-2

Viper 3-2 Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Oklahoma
    It depends on the company’s policy. A lot of the bigger carriers will usually let you take it home. Every previous company I drove for allowed me to do this, provided it was parked in a secure location. One company even let me bobtail about 2 hours to the house. My current company however, requires the truck and married trailer to be parked at the yard during time off, so they can take care of any maintainance.

As far as actually where to park during time off, I used to park in a dirt lot behind a small gas station near my house. Moving and storage companies, the Wal-Mart and the nearby truck stops are popular locations where I live.

ThisisMeUsee Thanks this.
  6. Viper 3-2

Viper 3-2 Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Oklahoma
    P.S. I know specifically Swift, Werner, Crete, TMC and PAM Transport allow drivers to take their truck and trailers home.

7. J.S.

J.S. Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Texas
    I've worked for a few megas and each of them has allowed me to take the vehicles home. two of them didn't have s terminal near me and others terminal was about 30, 40 miles. Where you park must be safe and possibly secured. If something happens to the truck, I'm pretty sure you'll be canned so do your homework on wherever you leave it.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Also, depends if trailer is loaded. You, as the driver, is responsible for your truck. So be careful where you park it. You don't want to come back from a couple days off and find the truck vandalized or ticketed or broken into. At least it's safe if parked at a terminal. But you do risk them using it if a driver is broken down and your truck is the only one sitting there. You come back from home time and your truck is gone. Your stuff is either still in the truck 800 mi away or piled under the staircase in the shop !

9. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    true DAT in 100% agreement with u every company will have there own policy the one we worked for my home was my base so no issues there they would also allow us to drive up town or we could borrow the company pick up truck as well extremely friendly staff some would even let us borrow there own cars.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.