Do you have to get blood work in order to get blood pressure meds?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by longhairdontcare, Jul 18, 2018.

1. longhairdontcare

longhairdontcare Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2016
    So I went to a CVS Clinic to get my DOT physical and got a 3-month card. Blood pressure was 140/100.

I asked if she could prescribe me some blood pressure meds and she said I had to get blood work done at a different location before being able to prescribe me meds. Is this the standard procedure? I thought that you could get blood pressure meds without doing blood work.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I think she means, CVS pharmacy can't write prescriptions.
    I never had blood work done for blood pressure medicine. Your family physician can check your blood pressure and write a prescription for the medicine. I went to a pharmacy the other day and my prescription had run out. He said he can't renew the prescription, but if my doctor writes a new one he can refill it.

4. Armyguy63b

Armyguy63b Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2018
    My doctor put me on blood pressure meds after I noticed it was getting a little high and started to monitor it. Eventually it was high like yours and I had to work with him to come up with meds that worked. I had some resistance. That was in 2014. I finally got motivated and did some low carb and exercise and it’s getting better for me. The side effects are a pain. Dizziness when standing, chest pain when over exerting. The meds force your heart to slow you see. All the best to you friend.

5. longhairdontcare

Sep 4, 2016
    Thanks. I just don't know why she is telling me to go get blood work. I guess I'll go find a doctor who can write me a prescription. I'd rather not have blood work done. Don't want an entire new can of worms being opened up if there are any problems.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    your first problem is going to a cvs clinic. this is ur blood line for a job, career, etc. different size cups for different size arms etc. white coat problems, time of day problems etc. do it right go to a real dr. you not a pet getting shots in a parking lot from a temp vet van.

7. James122

James122 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2018
    United States
    Need a prescription for blood pressure meds, or you can control it naturally.

8. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    No, they can give it to you. But, if something else is going on, they wouldn't know. For $100 is dollars, if you have it. If you lose weight and walk 20 minutes twice a day it will help. Eat fruits and veggies, ect......

James122 Thanks this.
  9. James122

James122 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2018
    United States
    Lay off caffine.

77fib77 Thanks this.
  10. longhairdontcare

Sep 4, 2016
    I would try to get it down naturally, but seeing as I have a 3-month card, I don't have much time to get it down so I'd rather not take chances and just get the meds

James122 Thanks this.
  11. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    I fast the day before a physical. Noon on, no chocolate either

Farmer54, bentstrider83 and James122 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.