Do you have to lease a truck at prime?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by FineWhiteLine, Apr 19, 2009.

1. FineWhiteLine

FineWhiteLine Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Harker Heights, Texas
    Hello all!!!!
    Was looking at go ing to Prime but dont want to lease a truck is this something that you have to do at Prime and anyone know if there reefer and tank divisions are doing well righ tnow??:biggrin_25523:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    No you dont have to lease. We are all struggling for more miles. I think we may have a hold on tanker hires.

4. FineWhiteLine

FineWhiteLine Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Harker Heights, Texas
    Ok cool thanks for the info!!!

5. simplyred1962

simplyred1962 Betty Boop, One Bodacious Babe!!!

My step-son went through Prime school...he "leased" a truck with them after his own training and trial period. He is now ready to leave, as his "trainees" are less than desirable, and they just informed him the other day, that even THOUGH he is a L/P, he is now going to HAVE to drive as if he were a company driver. MEANING, forced dispatch.
    As an L/P, you should NOT have "forced" dispatch.

Drivers at Prime, DO...whether company, or L/P driver.
    Just thought I'd let ya know. BTW, this just came into affect at Prime this month.

6. Bigray

Bigray Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Hmmmm, logging on q-com's, forced dispatch for l/p, not what i would consider a eviroment for a business person wanting some semblance of independence. IMO.

7. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    To be legally considered a contractor as per the IRS, you cant be under forced dispatch

allnite and Bigray Thank this.
  8. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    I will ask some other drivers.... I havent heard that from anyone yet, and believe me, some of my buddies would be howling if it were true.

Could be one of a couple things... A- Its true...or B- His FM is lying to him to get him moving because he turns down loads all the time... or C- He's making his excuses for leaving look better.

9. duddie

duddie Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    My questions is how the hell r we supposed to make money at prime if they are going to electronic logging. Especially for l/p

10. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    ^^^ I dont know. I personally think that electronic logging will not be as good as the so called experts predict it to be.

11. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Right now Prime is experimenting with paperless logs - it's restricted to a few of the company drivers on my FMs board. It looks to me like it's mostly going to put some restrictions on availability, and your freedom to deal with certain shippers/receivers who do not allow you to park on their premisis and have no available parking within 6/10 of a mile. I don't see it being a problem for teams, but I do see it as a problem for solo drivers.

The deal is this... eventually EOBRs will be mandated by the US DOT. It's going to happen, not that I will be a fan of it. Personally, I believe a paper logbook is your best friend. Management is experimenting with electronic logging so that they know how to deal with it when the time comes - to know it's strengths/weaknesses and tune its usage to our operation. I don't believe that it will go fleet-wide until it is mandated, and in any case, you need one of the newer QualComm units to use it. I have an old one, and they have no plans to replace the equipment, except as older trucks are retired - they do that at the 3-year point with most Prime power units. Our management has stated that they don't want to start using it until everyone does - to put everyone on an even playing field.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.