Do you hire students who have failed driving school & retrain?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Tottie, Feb 9, 2024.

1. Tottie

Tottie Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2024
    Jackson, MS, USA
    So basically I asked the one question that I have. What companies are willing to hire someone who's failed truck driving school and retrain them?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    1) if you couldn't pass school, you probably going to be problematic to train OJT.
    2) a new hire is an expensive part of a business generally speaking. When you're already considered problematic, its just going to be more expensive.
    3) Insurance won't let a company train you ... generally speaking. You most often need 2 years experience for most insurance companies. Megas who insure themselves, send you to school to get training, then have you ride with a trainer at their company OJT.
    4) trucking companies aren't driving schools. Not their job. Its not in the business formula. Don't have the staff nor the means to train you from the ground up.

4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Are you asking if you can go to a company sponsored CDL school even if you flunked the test at a private school?

5. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    If you failed Truck Driving school ,then find a different career choice cause your not truck driver material

TheLoadOut Thanks this.
  6. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    If you're in Jackson, Ms talk to KLLM.... They are a starter company & have a school. I don't know, maybe that's the school you failed at.

7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I don't think failing a driving school blackballs you from the industry, it's important to review why or on what part you failed, and try again. I realize, generally no refunds, something many aren't prepared for. Since you already paid, maybe go back to the school and find out more. OR, a different school , you may pass with flying colors, too bad it will cost another $5grand(?) at a new place. How badly do you want to do this? I highly doubt there will be any record of you not passing, and you got probably the rawest deal out there, paid the money and failed. Good luck.

8. aramil248

aramil248 Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Maine
    One question. You didn't say exactly why you failed. Because how I see it. If it's a minor thing that more training might fix. Then maybe take a chance with a mega sponsored program

Jamie01 Thanks this.
  9. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    We had a guy in our class I took way back who was on his SIXTH try. Nice guy, drove the truck ok, but just did the stupidest random things. The school I went to only passed 48% of students historically and had been there since I think the 1950’s. on the very first day of class the head instructor told us, “half of you won’t be sitting here on the last day.” And he meant it. I saw a few good students get cut or not quite make it that I thought might be decent drivers. And of course a few go that never even should’ve began truck Driving school in the first place. It just depends.

10. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    The real world doesn’t hand out participation trophies. Training costs money, why should a company spend more money on you when there are other people who are actually qualified to do the job?

11. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I went to truck driving school in 1988. Back then, there were several students who couldn't pass and were sent back to the first week of skills testing. Some of them were on their 3 time going back through the program. The school was doing everything they could to help students pass. Do they not do this any longer?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.