Do you let other trucks know when you spot a defect?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by double yellow, Apr 11, 2013.

Do you alert other drivers to mechanical defects?

1. *

Yes

37 vote(s)
    66.1%
  2. *

No

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. *

Sometimes

18 vote(s)
    32.1%
  1. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Being governed, I get passed by at least 100 trucks a day and I'd say about 10 of them have some (dot) issue sitting in plain sight (usually a light or two out). And I'll get on the cb and do the 'hey jb, got it on?' -- and tell him the issue if he responds (most don't).

Of those that do respond, about 1/3 never aknowledge further, 1/3 say something to the effect of either 'mind your own business' or 'thanks for letting all the bear know, man' and the remaining 1/3 say thanks.

So I'm beginning to wonder if I should even mention it anymore, especially since a part of me thinks 'f them if they can't be bothered to do a proper pretrip.' But I know stuff breaks while going down the road & have had it happen (& appreciated it being pointed out) to me...

mje Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    I do the same thing. A simple courtesy call on the CB. As you allude, sometimes things go bad while driving after a thorough pretrip. I'll continue to try and help my fellow drivers. If they cop an attitude, it's their problem not mine and I refuse to allow it to become mine.

mje Thanks this.
  4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I think you're being a good neighbor looking out for youre fellow truckers.Just keep on doing what you're doing.If you get some azzwipe being very unapprecitive then say fine I hope the dot tickets you.

Saddletramp1200 and mje Thank this.
  5. mcgoo422000

mcgoo422000 Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    I used to most already know and don't care to fix it anyway.

mje and CondoCruiser Thank this.
  6. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    ...and most don't have their ears on. Stupid. But I do it anyway.

mje Thanks this.
  7. starsonwindow

starsonwindow Medium Load Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I suggest not being rude, If they don't care you did your part, if they don't answer you then oh well they know better where the speed traps are and all about the constantly changing weather and about the truck in the ditch 3 miles ahead and all of that stuff. I have been doing this since I started driving and some acknowledge me some don't I did my part. I wouldn't worry about the bears knowing it either they are going to pull you or them or the guy 1/2 mile ahead of you on suspicions anyways giving them a reason is no reason to not keep helping the fellow driver, Keep up the good work, If you and I and the other few that said they do it to continue to help hands out here then they may start to do it too, and so on and so on!, Like the email thing if you email 20 people and they email 20 and so forth there are thousands that get the same message within a short period of time. Take Care Stay Safe.

critters and mje Thank this.
  8. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    Anyone without a CB can't do their job properly. It's a safety device. Cell phones don't work when CB will. I won't say more than that.

mje Thanks this.
  9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I agree about not being rude.But that only applies if the driver is'nt rude to me.If hes rude then you bet he's going to get a dose of his own medicine.

critters and mje Thank this.
  10. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    I will usually try to tell other drivers, but you never know the come back. I definitvely appreciate it if somebody points something out to me. I had a driver stick a note on my window the other day and I wish I could have thanked him in person.

starsonwindow, mje and ironpony Thank this.
  11. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    I love/hate CB radios. Love the joy they can bring by speaking to others in different city's. Hate the scum that uses it for cussing, selling dope, or stolen goods. Lot lizards also.

48Packard, mje and pattyj Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.