Do you still enjoy driving truck after years behind the wheel?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Pandemic, May 27, 2022.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’ve been at it about 21 or so years now and the LTL sector owned the last 17. I roll pretty much the way you do once I get where I’m going.

But, one nice thing about it is my routes start 100 miles away from the terminal so it could be said I get a little of both worlds. One day last week after I got my last pickup on board I had a nice CB conversation with a tanker yanker from Richmond on my way back up the road.

Now, where I work is fairly laid back. We have all assigned equipment, even trailers, and permanent bids so you can’t get yanked off a run you like just because some douche nozzle decided he likes it more than you do. I smoke in my truck and my CB stays in it. This wouldn’t fly at the likes of Saia or XPO, and I wouldn’t last long at either of those companies. I can’t tolerate their level of micromanagement.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I still enjoy it, but i've only been at it a year. I've still got three or four more careers in me. No job is worth it if you ain't enjoying it, and that's easier to say when you ain't broke.

4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    5.5 years waiting to unload has got to be the all time record.

5. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    Serious detention time there....

GYPSY65, Pandemic and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  6. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Smart ### like usual I see.

7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I started driving in 1996 and at the time thought I was really blessed to be able to make a good living doing something I enjoy doing so much. And I still feel that way. Sure the industry has changed and in many ways, and not all for the better. But show me any other occupation that hasn't went through a lot of changes in the last 25 years. Those that can adapt, can prosper. Has always been that way.

8. Pandemic

Pandemic Bobtail Member

May 6, 2014
    Not sure if I've even created a thread on here before; It's been years if I have. There has been a lot of great responses. It's hard to imagine the amount of experience most of you have, and the changes you've seen. Trucking has changed my life in a lot of ways. It gave me the entrepreneurial spirit and I don't plan of working for someone else. I did flatbed, doing dry van now, and there's tons of other things I could do within trucking. I guess it really just doesn't serve me anymore. It got me into a better financial situation, and I'm grateful for that. I'm just rambling at this point. Do what you love, make a plan, and enjoy life while you can.

Rideandrepair, loudtom and 201 Thank this.
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Dirty job, but somebody has to do it. ;)

10. Geekonthestreet

Geekonthestreet Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2021
    Chicago
    I’m still new but I want to lend perspective. I’ve done some of the grindiest, most difficult jobs ever. You either find ways to create space and enjoy life, or you burn out and fail. Today I just walked a mile over to a local restaurant and ate fresh fish. It was absolutely delicious! I picked up some local wine on the way back to start my 34. Tomorrow I’ll get a full body workout in for a larger calorie budget, followed up by some fresh meat and video games. There was a time where I thought family was the most important thing, but if you can’t provide as a man, they’ll just throw you away anyways. You are really substituting the life of a trucker, for that of a loser. Thinking about what-ifs is pointless. Because nature is brutal and senseless.

Rollin4FunNProfit and Pandemic Thank this.
  11. Pandemic

Pandemic Bobtail Member

May 6, 2014

Last edited: May 29, 2022
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.