Do you truckers love your truck?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Trucker Carlton, Oct 27, 2021.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Yes i talk to my trucks and they talk back. I named my truck big blue and it was fine until we ran over a blue bird and blue feathers stuck to the grill. So my truck says he wants to be called blue bird now.

Before blue bird there was "lightning" and " betty" . the truck im running now likes to be called "walrus" for reasons unknown to me. i take care of my trucks and they take care of me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Definitely a love hate relationship with mine. Some days at look at it and think it's the most beautiful thing in the world. Other days I think Frick I'm tired of this thing. An actual mistress would be cheaper

4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I don’t name them anymore but the first many I did. Hell, Kenworth even had them on file as the names instead of a truck number. lmao.

Little Red, Kenny, Clutch, Junior, Sonny, Chief, and the last one I named was Rosie.

Some trucks of my Dads that I know of before I was born or when I was little were Semi Suite, Maude, and Big Red.

Finally, I just quit naming them as there has been another 11 or 12 since. It was getting too personal as well. Gotta be smart and emotion isn’t always the best for your wallet. :p

5. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    My Frita always gets an “atta girl” after every day without an issue.

I do apologize to her sometimes when I call her def system a pos. But hey no womens ever perfect.

I’m just not letting her hear that I’m searching for a older model with less headaches.

6. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I LOVE my truck!! And really attached to her. Unfortunately, she's a company truck and not mine. So, one day, probably within the next year, I'll have to say goodbye to her.
    Her name is Petunia!! Not long after I was seated in her, I had taken some pics and posted on Facebook. My Niece, who I'm very attached to (wish she was my kid actually), gave her that name. Gotta respect that!!
    Anyway, I've been in this truck, a 2019 Volvo VNL760, almost 2 years. I had a 2017 Freightliner as my very 1st truck when I went solo. But, was in that truck less than a month before being seated in Petunia So, kinda consider this one my first one. She's the truck I've had almost all of my adventures in!!! And, I've more than doubled the miles on her from when I got her, so I've driven her more than anyone!!!!

7. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Never get too close. Just enjoy them while they're young and pretty, then trade them in on a younger model every few years. ;)

8. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    If you see a guy pulling a hill yelling "C'mon Betsy, you can do it!", that's me.

9. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    Perhaps I responded without putting enough thought into the post. My apologies. Long day

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Years and years ago, trucks were … trucks. They were tools to get a job done.

they had no emotions, they were cold when they sat, they were like other tools used in an industry no different than the 20 ton press at ford or the boring machine at chevy.

but human emotion gets involved and some get carried away with things.

we have groups of mentally ill people marrying inanimate objects - read this all the way through

>>>>> To Artist Tracey Emin, the Perfect Husband Is a Stone. So She Married One.

I know of owners who are married to their truck, the truck comes first even over the kids getting food.

I’ve seen some who at the end of the day get out of the cab and wiped the truck down, spending an hour doing so.

I’ve seen one gut getting upset to the point of screaming at insects because there were dead bugs in the radiator grill and he got to the point of getting out a tooth brush and cleaning the grill.

I’ve seen a guy break down and cry because his truck was rock damaged.

one night many of us standing around at a pilot in Georgia talking watching one guy hug and kiss his truck before he climbs back into it … no sh***** it really happened.

I was talking to someone who has a a bunch of ford cars from the start of the company, his pride and joy was one of the first model t cars. Very well preserved car that has been in his family since it was made. He said that he is just preserving them for others to enjoy in the future but eventually they will all go back into the soil to be recycled, they are inanimate objects and taken care of for preservation of history but outside if that, he isn’t going to worry about what happens to it once he is gone, he will enjoy it as he has for the past 85 years.

11. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    I sure do love my truck. I always wondered why a person would be a owner operator and not love and take pride in their truck. I also always wondered as a company driver if you have aluminum tanks and wheels why aren’t they polished. My truck definitely isn’t as clean as some guys out here. It’s a rare occurrence to catch us dirty though. Well maybe I will be dirty not the truck though. I love trucks and trucking, it’s provided a life for me I never thought I’d have. If it wasn’t for trucks and trucking my life may have taken a wrong turn throughout the years, it was always my dream and goal of being a trucker that made me straighten up and fly right in my late teens. I guess it’s different for some, my dad was a trucker as well. I rode with him throughout the 90s. It really gets in your blood I guess.

B7A2074E-95D8-4E3A-9808-DF13047A59CD.jpeg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.