Does anyone give radio checks anymore.

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by shortlid, Oct 7, 2019.

1. shortlid

shortlid Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Just installed a classic CB in the truck I am running for local here in New England. Could not get a radio check on I 93 for over an hour! Does anyone use CB anymore?

stayinback, Swine hauler and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Yeah they use it in the south pretty heavy but its rare to ever hear anything than guys arguing or cursing eachothers mothers... Thats about it. Run out west u will go days without hearing anything

Blowcanner1975 and Swine hauler Thank this.
  4. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Rarely. The only time I run with radio on, in stormy weather or running oversized with pilot car.

Got tired of the bickering.
    I do alert drivers to active emergency vehicles on the shoulder or abnormal weather conditions. Accidents and traffic back ups.

Hard to find anyone to have a conversation or a civil discussion anymore so I stopped trying.

5. Swine hauler

Swine hauler Medium Load Member

Jun 21, 2019
    I feel your pain friend. The megas don't use CBs, neither do all the outfits that lease their truck from penske, ryder etc.

Small outfits, O/O, construction guys, livestock haulers are your better choice for a come-back.

I always eyeball a truck first before I start having a conversation with myself......saves agravation.

Sucks to be sure if you can't see anyone around.I

I'm on 93 all the time ........give me a holler. Lol

shortlid and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Try it when you're near a truck stop tell them you just installed a new antenna or coax or whatever

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I still do, but I suspect the young ones are not as immersed in the Radio as a living activity as it was once in the 70's I don't know about any of you but in those days there were radios everywhere as a form of fad in those days.

I got my start with a tiny Cobra 19 I think I paid 70 dollars for the #### thing, this would be 1985 money...

rabbiporkchop and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  8. Blowcanner1975

Blowcanner1975 Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Hoosierland
    You know most drivers only use their back-up radios anymore. Only when there is a back-up..."What lane is open up here?" Duh, the one that isn't moving...

gummy bear, D.Tibbitt and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. shortlid

shortlid Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Funny

x1Heavy and Fire ant Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    HAHAHAHA that's awesome.

Such wisdom. Illuminating my misspent life on the big road. HA.. thats really good.

Swine hauler Thanks this.
  11. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    CB is not dead but drivers have so many navigational tools now that CB is just one tool of many.

Tom Hanks used an ice skate to extract a tooth on the deserted island, but I'm sure if he had a pair of vice grips he would have used them instead. Even then he wouldn't have thrown the ice skate away

D.Tibbitt and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.