Does anyone use at&t for cell service while trucking?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by A Bug, Jul 19, 2022.

1. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    Verizon has been pissing me off over and over again lately so am considering switching companies. I am just concerned about the coverage. I usually stay around the eastern side of the country but a few times a year head out west. I am sure at&t is good but does it work for otr drivers okay?

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I've had AT&T for at least 15 years. Here and there it gets spotty in desolate remote areas, but 99.999% of the time, it works fine.

4. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Yep I have had ATT since 2000. It works great in almost all the areas I go to. I also have a booster to help in the not so good areas.

5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Yep. I've had both at the same time with a company Verizon phone, it's pretty much equal. Some desolate places I had full bars and vice versa. My home area gets better service with att so I've stuck with that

6. TruckerLlew

TruckerLlew Medium Load Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Got AT&T business plan. 100gb phone data and 100gb tether data $121 a month. Have yet to be throttled. It does slow down at rush hour in/near major cities. Coverage is good. I run a lot out west. Coverage is good on the interstates and major US routes. Gets a bit spotty if I get off the popular roads. Signal does get a bit weak in the canyons. Had it for 5 years now. Had Sprint before and it's a world of difference

GYPSY65 and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  7. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    I used to, until I got divorced (I found out she wasn't paying the bills at home like I thought). I went to an AT&T go phone first, then Straight Talk from Walmart. Finally, I jumped ship to a by-the-gig plan with Spectrum. Uses the Verizon network as a primary, but piggybacks off the AT&T network when Verizon isn't available. $14/month, but requires home internet service (I already had it). Unlimited is $45, but if you get 2 lines, unlimited is $29.99 for each line. I'm just waiting for my new wife to get sick of paying $70-something for 2 gigs at AT&T, then I'll buy her a new phone and put her on Spectrum, we can both get the unlimited at that point. Being in the office these days, I don't need more than a gig for myself, as I almost always have wi-fi available.

8. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    I switched from Verizon to t mobile a couple of months ago. Hadnt had a problem yet

wis bang and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  9. supergreatguy

supergreatguy Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2020
    AT&T unlimited everything. Works pretty good, might catch a couple dark spots but shortly recovers within 20 min max

GYPSY65 and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Where I roam. Att has the better signal.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  11. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    My phone lets me have two plans active, one with a physical SIM and another one using eSIM. I have Verizon as my primary and I've been experimenting with other carriers as a secondary. I currently have AT&T on the secondary, but I'm finding that when Verizon has low signal, AT&T usually does too. Before AT&T, I tried T-Mobile as the secondary and that seemed to provide more complete coverage overall. I think I'm going back to T-Mobile at the end of this month. I definitely think having plans on two carriers is the way to go.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.