does Brokerage company mean anything ?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by dannythetrucker, Oct 20, 2012.

1. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    I'm starting to think not. It's just the individual broker that matters. I got my first load from Mercer today, I've been wanting to get set up with them for awhile. The load was posted to Fargo, ND. I had already booked a partial to add to the load also going to Fargo and was also working on my next load from just north of Fargo. The Mercer broker calls me and says all the paper work was in order but the load was cancelled, however, they were able to get me a load to Elbow Lake, MN for the same mileage rate.

Now, at this point, am I supposed to assume that he is being truthful based on Mercer's good reputation ? If it was a TQL broker I would automatically figure they were jerking my chain. Elbow Lake is 80 miles from Fargo so the rate drops almost $200 dollars from what we talked about. I asked him if they could do $90 more because I already had lined up to go to Fargo. He acted frustrated with me and said, look, you don't have to take the load. It's the same rate. I had to bite my tongue to keep from launching into a diatribe that he just took $200 out of my pocket, and it might not seem like much but when you figure my expenses I just lost 20% on this shipment because I still have to go to Fargo !

Also, he described the load as being one piece 33' long and a crate. I picked up 6 crates, 6 pieces, and 4 tires barely leaving room for the partial.

I guess I should be happy it all worked out, I'm still making decent money and got my next load lined up. And I am happy about that.

But really, a brokers job is to represent the shipper to me, and represent the trucking companies to the shipper. If you call me blaming the shipper, you are really only blaming yourself. To me, you are supposed to BE the shipper, and to the shipper you are supposed to BE the trucking company. The idea that you can blame the shipper when talking to the trucker, and blame the trucker when talking to the shipper is BS.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pilot1

Pilot1 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2011
    On the front 9
    Your exactly right Danny he should have been up to date on this shipment in terms of description. When I do LTL; I wanna know how many spaces, stackable/non-stackable, dry, reefer...etc etc. Some folks don't get that detailed, and it causes alot of content. Just like most brokers have never been in a driver so they dont know how we think or line up our next move.

I guess in the end it did work out for ya. Here's some advice for ya to think about, Next time your looking at partials, make up a sheet asking the questions I stated above and when your on the phone with said broker just ask the questions and check off the boxes so you know what your expecting. If you want add more questions to the "cheat sheet"...Hope this helps!

4. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Yeah that's the old bait and switch. They can't find anyone to take a load to Timbuktu so they slap another name on it and pull the switch once you're on the way to the pickup. Then you get there and it's not as described.

My solution to that is get all the info on the rate sheet including dims. Contact the shipper to confirm. If the shipper says it's different than the rate sheet, get the freight on the truck and then call the broker to renegotiate. No delivery until you get a new rate sheet. If they're playing fair they won;t have a problem with that. If they get ticked off, it's because they were trying to screw you and good riddance.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.