does everyone get a fresh 70 today since the waiver ended at midnight?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by mathematrucker, Jun 15, 2020.

1. mathematrucker

mathematrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    As many are aware, the 70- and 11- hour rules were suspended by the FMCSA for direct assistance loads back in March. Last month the rule suspension was extended until June 14. With today being the first day the HOS rules are back to normal, do all drivers get to start with a fresh 70 after completing a 10-hour break yesterday/today, or instead, are everybody's hours on their 70 based on their on-duty total during the past 7 days as usual? I am of course only referring to drivers subject to the 8-day 70-hour rule. If anyone can point me to an authoritative source of info on this question, it will be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Only on relief loads were the hours suspended, all other loads were logged normally. Want a fresh 70, take a 34.

4. mathematrucker

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    Who doesn't want a fresh 70? Just to clarify, by "logged normally" you mean "logged subject to the normal HOS rules." My question only pertains to whether a fresh 70 is automatically granted to drivers who hauled relief loads exclusively in the weeks leading up to June 15. I'm aware that anytime a driver who routinely hauls relief loads suddenly hauls a non-relief one during the rule suspension---even a short hop for something like 4 hours---the clock that determines which 8 days that driver can exceed 70 on-duty hours in resets to midnight.

5. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Does your eld say you have 70 hours left?

6. mathematrucker

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    Supposing that 70 hours were indeed granted by the various ins and outs of the FMCSA's suspension of certain HOS rules for relief loads during mid-March through June 14, would my ELD necessarily reflect such an obscure, once-in-a-lifetime technicality? Probably not. Besides, it isn't ELD companies who determine these things, it's the FMCSA, so my question stands.

7. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    No matter what they say you might as well just run like you have 70 just to test it out for the rest of us.

8. mathematrucker

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    :) Stopping short of intentionally consulting with any DOT officers, that's exactly what I'm doing. Our company's safety department is claiming we get a fresh 70 and to just annotate the ELD violations daily. Until I can disprove that, I'm going along with it. If the claim gets disproved to me by the DOT, I'll be sure to let everyone know!

9. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    And if you are found to be in violation of HOS will the DOT official take your safety department out of service or will they take you out of service?

10. mathematrucker

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    Seems like more's at stake than just an out-of-service, but your point is well taken.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.