Does owning a "tricked out truck" land you better gigs?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by iowabmw, Jul 24, 2007.

Does having a "tricked out truck" land you better contracts?

1. *

Yes

19.0%
  2. *

No

82.3%
  1. iowabmw

iowabmw Medium Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Quad Cities, IA
    Okay I am starting a serious debate and I expect to hear some good thoughts on this. I have a theory that owning a "tricked out truck" will land better gigs than the regular ole truck. I think that having a truck that is always clean, and looks #### good going down the road will pursade carriers to go with you than the other guy. Now lets think about this for a minute, a Pete 379 with 8" stacks, chicken lights, polished up and trailer looking good pulls into a shipper next to the Billy Big Rigger's truck who has never been polished and hasn't been washed in 6 months. Now if that was your load going down the road wouldn't you want it to be looking good going down the road? So lets hear some thoughts on this. :biggrin_25520:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mikroos5

mikroos5 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Mass.
    Running down the road in a tricked-out truck makes the same money as the dirty piece of crap,actually the dirty truck makes more because he isn't paying the high price of keeping it clean,and it's probably better on fuel than the truck with the extra weight from all that chrome.

4. Twocycle

Twocycle <strong>Road Apple</strong>

I've been on both sides of this so I'll offer my two cents. I don't think it makes much difference now. It used to back years ago when most trucks had little chrome and you never saw any trucks with budd wheels till the seventys. Even then they were steel.

When I drove for Carolina Western, they were the first company that I had seen that had a fleet of "Large Cars". People would follow us into our fuel stops just to look at the trucks, including shippers.

Now I own my truck, it's pretty plain by today's standards but my customers have told me that they appreciate the cleanliness and appearance of my truck and trailer.

So, I really don't see what you describe as being an advantage.

5. Attitude:)

Attitude:) "Love each Day as if it was your last"

Jul 13, 2007
    TX NM & CO
    Seems like you'd get better jobs in the sense the company or whoever, would think you'd take better care of their load etc if the truck was nice and clean. Just my 2 cents lol:biggrin_25520:

6. Twocycle

Twocycle <strong>Road Apple</strong>

Companies are a whole lot more interested in what YOU look like, well-groomed, than the amount of chrome your 18 has on it. Just ask them, they'll give you the word! :)

7. Eskimo6804

Eskimo6804 Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Northeast Alabama
    You might think that is true(It once was), but nowadays, the business has gotten so cutthroat that price is usually the determining factor.

8. iowabmw

iowabmw Medium Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Quad Cities, IA
    A well groomed driver has to come with a well taken care of truck. When I say "tricked out" I am not meaning you have to have a "show truck", just a sharp looking truck. I still think that the apperance makes a big deal. Say Billy Big Rigger charges $1.00 a mile and Mr. Pete charges $1.00 a mile who would you pick to haul your freight?

9. mikroos5

mikroos5 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Mass.
    Just for the sake of an argument...
    1. Is this a beauty contest or do you just want freight moved from point A to point B

2. You are never going to see him before you hire him...

3. For all you know the guy with the nice looking pete might have a problem getting your freight delivered on time because he spends so much time at the truck wash.

Its not all appearance there has to be some accountability too.

10. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    EXACTLY! :biggrin_25514:

11. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

I think making your truck all clean and purdy does one thing. It sucks money out of your wallet. Sure, it may make you look good and all, but that speaks nothing of your personal attitude, driving skills, history or anything else. All it means is "hey...I know how to wash my truck"

Besides, hauling a load of crusty O's to General Dollar in a shiney rig is about the same as Hauling a load of Crusty O's to Saks fifth ave. The product doesnt know and doesnt care. I mean seriously...do you think the guy at the warehouse is going to pop his head and look at your cargo van hauler and say "wow...look at my woopity doos drivin down the road!"

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.