Does per diem apply to companies that you drive for as an owner op?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TruckRunner, Apr 25, 2018.

1. TruckRunner

TruckRunner Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2017
    I know the next tax law makes it so self employed can no longer claim per diem but if you have your own truck and drive for a company that just takes a percentage of your loads is that considered not being self employed and so per diem is offered? Or does the company have to offer it or can I somehow get my accountant to calculate it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Are you paid 1099 self employed or W2 employee?

4. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    If you are paid on percentage, that is what you get for the work performed. I recommend that you consult a credible accountant who can explaian exactly how it all works.

5. TruckRunner

TruckRunner Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2017
    I dont work there yet I suppose I will have to ask them. I know it wont be a w2.

6. mickeymouseclub

mickeymouseclub Heavy Load Member

Mar 17, 2017
    The new tax law doesn't prevent self employed from taking per Diem, people under HOS are in a different category

7. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    My understanding is if your O/O you still claim per diem as usual. If your a company driver you can't claim per diem only because they don't have the lines on the new tax form. You have no way to claim none reimbursed expenses. So as a company driver if the company can include it in the pay then you get both. When it's included in the pay it also lowers or looks like you makes less money to the IRS and Social security.

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Is that how it is now? I've worked for 3 companies that figured in per diem. But was never showed on w2's so i still claimed on taxes.

9. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I did the same thing, I always claimed per diem myself at end of the year. 2018 new tax law and form will not have the option to claim anything for company drivers. We get the new $12,000 standard deduction. My company does pay per diem as part of my pay now. So I get both but it will look like I makes less money per year to the IRS because $15,000 of my pay is tax free now. That my understanding.

snowwy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.