Does this count as an accident?? Advice!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by truckerbunny, Dec 8, 2018.

1. truckerbunny

truckerbunny Light Load Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Florida
    Im a company driver.

I was at a customers yard today, and my trailer door hit one of their empty trailer doors. It popped it off the hinges, so the hinges are damaged, but nothing else. My trailer has no damage (I knocked their door with mine, and my door won). My company is self insured. No police were called, and my company will pay for the damage to their trailer. No truck was attached to the trailer that I hit, and the trailer was empty.

My question, does this count as an accident on my record? Not the company record, I don’t care about that, I mean my driver record.

Thanks.
    - A concerned new driver

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    No.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No. Your MVR won't be dinged, but the company may, or may not, put it on a DAC report. Even so, it's not something that will keep you from employment at another company.

5. SidewaysBentHalo

SidewaysBentHalo Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Ask your company what their policy is. Last thing you want to do is sweat bullets if changing companies.
    I was in a similar position and never asked. When interviewed for my current gig i owned up to those mistakes a couple years back. Still got the job.

Found out later on because my gf is still at my former employer that they only put DOT recordables on psp reports.

truckerbunny Thanks this.
  6. truckerbunny

Mar 13, 2018
    Florida
    This is what I’m nervous about, I’m starting with a new company in 2 weeks. Unfortunately my current companies safety department isn’t open until Monday. So I get to sweat until then!

7. truckerbunny

Mar 13, 2018
    Florida
    Thank you! I can handle a DAC ding, I was just terrified it counted as an accident.

8. Finfn1372

Finfn1372 Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Greenville,NC
    You're company might count it as an accident depending on the dollar amount,but its probally just an incident.

As far as dac is concerned its not dot reportable so dont worry about it.

9. truckerbunny

Mar 13, 2018
    Florida
    Do you mean my MVR? Or just my company history?

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Oh yes indeedy. You bumped and broke something. tsk tsk tsk tsk. You had a ACCIDENT. Now you must lay awake having lost sleep in fear of firing.

Ive torn doors off in my time. Just a box of bolts and a little bit of tool time on it and back in business. If the employer heard nothing more or at all about it, the accident did not happen.

11. Finfn1372

Finfn1372 Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Greenville,NC
    Just youre company history.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.