Does trucking really ruin your life at home?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JJMac0108, Mar 13, 2015.

1. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Atkins is a load of poop along with any other diet. You can eat as much fruit and veggies as your heart desires. A diet by definition is a specific time you will eat specific food. What happens when the 2 weeks is done when you have shut off carbs? Good luck even making it that long. Try going 2 days without any form of bread. The Atkins diet does work but it is not healthy for your body. Quick weight loss, fine. Good luck keeping it off without a larger picture strategy.

A lifestyle change is what works. Eat less than you burn. Don't starve yourself that just sends the body into starvation mode. Slow and steady wins the race. 1 to 2 pounds per week average is key. Eat reasonably at every meal and prepare your own food. A bowl of cereal not sugar filled cereal is a good choice, or oatmeal. Exercise a bit. 10k steps a day isn't that difficult. Start with 5k a day if you think 10 is too many. Your phone is already counting it anyway.

x1Heavy and spyder7723 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Home time is usually wasted sleeping..your tired from the drive home and you need to be rested on your way out.

4. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    @gokiddogo

LOL-I've been on Atkins for over two years and lost well over 100lbs. The diet saved my life and career as I was given hell everytime I went for a DOT physical. Now they have absolutely nothing to say to me as my weight is perfect.

After the two week induction phase you move into part II of the diet where you can add 5 grams more of carbs from vegetables. There are four phases total until you find the sweet spot where you can eat the most healthy carbs possible while maintaining weight. The bread is substituted by protein and fat. Your body gets used to running on fat versus carbs and turns into a fat furnace burning your body lard when there is not enough fuel.

You don't understand carbohydrate addiction. "Portion control" is virtually impossible if you're always craving processed carbs and sugar. When on Atkins your hunger is always under control and you eat only as much as needed.

I'd recommend any obese driver to try this way of eating. It's actually very easy to eat low carb on the road but you will have to get used to eating a lot of canned tuna and salmon. Finally, Atkins is really a lifestyle change than a "diet." It's a lifelong commitment to eat low carb but once you get used to it after a few weeks it just feels like your normal eating habits and not a "diet."

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  5. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I'm glad the Atkins works for you. I am not capable of completely cutting out carbs because I am not a sedentary whale. I have tried it before and it never works for me. A balance of intelligent food choices along with light exercise (walking) is easy. I can still have the occasional slice of pizza or whatever candy. You know what's interesting about that? I have zero desire for all the sugar I so craved not long ago. I don't eat anything out of the pizza and fried food tray. If I do I feel like a real bag of crap and I can totally see how this food is designed to kill people. I eat cereal or oatmeal in the morning. Make a ham and cheese sandwich or tuna for lunch. Usually another sandwich for dinner. Or eventually I want some real man food so I go get a steak or chicken dinner. Hot beef or a burger. I know I shouldn't but I am not a machine. As many vegetables as I want. Same for fruit but not as much since I don't go to grocery stores often enough and I am a strawberry and oranges kinda guy.

Controlling your blood sugar is what drives your hunger level. So when you cut out all the crap, your body has a chance to regulate. Different paths, same result. You made an eating habit shift. Not a 2 year long diet lol

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Carbs=energy. The only way someone can go carb free is if they never do anything.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    gokiddogo Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I love my steak. The bigger the better. But it's Protein. It's like pouring gasoline onto the fire and become superman for a hour or two. It's the potatoes, the carbs that provide the stamina to keep it going for hours. Unfortunately it sticks to ribs a bit much.

Add up your calories. As long they are less intake each day than what you are supposed to be burning you will lose weight. In my time staying warm up in the dakotas required I eat 8000 to 10000 calories total per day. Burned it right off lumping trailers twice a day. Loading and unloading. I maintained a perfect 140 with no fat. Im not talking anorexic skinny, everything was in place where it should be in those days.

If I ate like that today at 195 and soft, I would probably reach 500 plus in a few months. And some of my preexisting situation such as early heart failure will accelerate and put me away even faster. It is what it is. No worries. There is no point in fixing what you cannot. But what you CAN and MUST do is eat less than what your body is doing.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  8. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    That's a myth. Fat can be burned for energy as well. It's a different process but the body is more than capable of it.

9. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Driver of the Year 2.0

10. Ben Wah 79

Ben Wah 79 Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2017

The only reason you lost the weight is because Atkins removes the sugar by way of not eating processed simple carbs. You should be getting 65%-80% percent of your calories from complex carbs. Carbs are our main energy source. Eat lots of fresh raw fruits and veggies. Best way to remove weight, get rid of as much of the simple sugars as possible, avoid artificial sweeteners, drinks 1 oz of water for every pound of body weight daily, take digestive enzymes and probiotics.
    All diets are a scam, if they are trying to sell you a book or anything else, ignore them. The biggest reason most people gain weight is from sugars and poor gut health. The years of antibiotic use, processed foods and sugar has destroyed the microflora of our digestive systems. Get that back to proper health and you'll watch the weight drop off dramatically.
    Our digestive system is an amazing organ and has the same amount of neurons as a dog's brain. In fact, they call it our second brain. Studies are now showing it has a lot of control over our personalities and mental health as well. About 90% of our serotonin comes, the feel good hormone, comes from the bacteria in a healthy digestive system. New studies are linking problems such as depression to poor health of the digestive system.
    I started doing these same things mentioned above at the beginning of the year after spending months watching documentaries and TED talks about the food industry and nutrition. I still eat what I want within reason, other than high sugar foods, have dropped 15 lbs, can tell a huge difference in my mental well being and haven't felt this good since I was a teenager. One thing I have noticed is that I don't have to eat as often ether because once your body can fully and properly digest the food you do intake, the body is able to get the nutrition it needs. When you're getting proper nutrition, there is no reason for the body to tell you it needs food.

11. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    If you can keep your body in a state of ketosis for long periods of time with a strict diet your body will burn fat for energy instead of carbs.

It's tricky but a natural process. Think of it like converting DC to AC power.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.