Does Western Express only hire idiots and bottom feeders?

Discussion in 'Western Express' started by striker, Mar 8, 2011.

1. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    3 times in the last 12 mos. W.E. drivers have hit our trucks at the Best Buy DC in Denver. A year ago one took off the covers for my mirror brackets with his door because he wasn't paying attention. 4 mos. ago another one hit one of my co-workers and did the samething. This morning, one was backing into the dock next to me, first he hit my trailer (after ignoring my blasts of the air horn to stop), then he clipped my mirror straightening out. WHY WHY WHY!!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fancypants

fancypants Medium Load Member

Apr 14, 2010
    nw pa
    Now ya got me nervious one just backed in next to me.:biggrin_25524:

4. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Striker, if ya would get that target off yer truck, ya'd be better off.

I used to have fairly regular contact with a couple of WE drivers when I was with Knight. Of course that was a long time ago. They seemed like reasonable people.

Of course who the hell am I to say who is "reasonable?":biggrin_25526:

5. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    So what do you expect from a company that takes students for the vans. Only need 6 months of any driving experience for flats.

Word is Vans start at .24CPM, flats at .28CPM, And .14 of that is per diem

6. Cretedrone

Cretedrone Bobtail Member

May 5, 2011
    Interstate hell
    Yes. I had to work for them for a year to get back into trucking after being out for 14 months, no other company would hire me, although had 20 plus years experience.

The good thing about them is they are one of the few places for a situation like this. The bad thing is they kept me mostly on the east coast, and played the 'per diem' game.
    Still, it got me on the path to getting a better job.

I don't remember them being real picky with logs, either.

7. mdtrucker78

mdtrucker78 Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Laplata MD
    Well just a FYI western runs elogs now and no they don't really micro-manage.....which is a plus if you ask me. I currently run for them......make decent money and due to where I live at get home every weekend for a 34 and sometimes get home during the weekend. We basically stay east of the mississippi. Western is like any other trucking company do your job prove that you have the ability to trip plan and not hit everything but the lotto and they will give you a chance and a place to earn a check to feed your family even if you have had a string of bad luck on the big road.

8. Heirforce1

Heirforce1 Medium Load Member

May 16, 2011
    The Windy City
    Western Express when I worked there was great since I was new to flatbedding and coming in at .34cpm getting about 3000 miles a week average, I was pretty content. In time things changed a lil bit and ultimately I had to leave. Dont know about the van side of things however flat was always cool and the guys would help out alot. If they have changed for the worst I feel bad for them since they were ok when I was there. Drive safe!

9. mdtrucker78

mdtrucker78 Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Laplata MD
    The van side is ok in my opinion which I fell I can have since I have run otr and dedicated customers for them. A lot of the guys that spent more time in truck stops than running left when the elogs hit the truck. I think western did this because they had a lot of issues with drivers who could not run a logbook legally (much less illegally). Which ain't necessarily westerns fault. Since I have started here I have had a very good experience with them as a whole. I have been handed the keys to a 2011 cascadia and a 2011 prostar. I believe they have recently adopted the policy of giving new drivers the old columbias and then they move you into some of the newer equipment. Just try not to hit stuff and you will be in a new truck pretty quick.......more than that if you are on van just run hard and be ontime. You can make money with them. They are a pretty decent company......don't believe the hype all the time. Due to the account I am on I get home just about every weekend for a 34 hr restart and and s ometimes during the week. That's just been my experience with van never really ran the skateboards with them.

10. Sstorm

Sstorm Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Barnegat,NJ
    Thanx for the info i`m considering them on my list of companys

11. Swiftey

Swiftey Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2011
    lol there was a WE truck hung up on a sidewalk here in Caledonia Ontario the other month, hill from road down to parkinglot behind downtown, decided to camp out there for the night with a low boy flat. made it in okay, going out got the back of his trailer airborne, he played around with blocks of wood under his drive axles for about 3 hours before the wrecker showed up. needless to say i didnt get any sleep that night but i had a blast with my cam.

For the record this happened when i was at home enjoying my two days i tried to help but he was a grumpy old man :(

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.