Does your doctor (non-DOT) have to report a diagnosis of sleep apnea to your state's DMV?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by tbrown_sd, Sep 8, 2017.

1. torres94063

torres94063 Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I already contacted my PCP and she reffered me to a Sleep Clinic to get it done but I just been thinking if i should do it or not.
    Cost wise I have Blue Shield PPO and I already hit my Max out of pocket for the year so anything that is covered by insurance wont cost me a penny more if i do it before the end of the year.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'd do it and just not tell your company.

Michael H and snowwy Thank this.
  4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    In case you never paid attention to the forms you sign when you go in for your physical, one such form is granting permission for the DOT doc to contact your primary care physician for any followup questions or to verify any information you disclosed during your physical. You also probably signed a form granting permission to share your info with the company, the FMCSA, and any other relevant person or agency that might have a need to see it. If you choose not to sign these permissions, the physical likely will not be performed.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Thanks Bulldog, I wish many would read the paper work they sign.

The same goes for HIPAA, there is no limits what medical professionals can discuss among themselves, it is there to protect the privacy of the patient from the public and has been so screwed up thanks to misinformation.

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Actually I do read what I sign. The only permissions asked for and given is billing info the the company as they pay for the physical.
    Now that being said, I will admit that that may be rare/unique to this clinic our company uses.

And anyway, I was replying to the statement that your dot dr. can get you medical history just because. Like I said in the quote permission is needed.

P.s. I used to setup HIPPA compliant computer systems back in my help desk days. I've actually had training on HIPPA laws, which is one reason I read the paperwork. To make sure it's compliant.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Zvar, I'm not going to argue with you, but if you know the law, then you know that DOT related functions that require an exam to qualify to work under any one of the regulatory agencies under the US DOT (FRA, FAA and FMCSA) are exempt from HIPAA. This also takes place in a few other privacy laws on both the state and federal level.

Many of the exams I have had have a clause that the examiner can talk to your doc without your permission.

By the way, I had training when it became law and wrote the training material that was used by our clients where I consulted for both IT and any interface with patients. My specialty was IT and medical finance (billing, insurance interfacing, rate cost determination, etc. ... ).

8. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    My two cents: since there is no formal ruling regarding sleep apnea (just suggestions), don't discuss it. Don't volunteer any info you don't have to. If you have a way of controlling it that works for you, then there is no problem to report.

Besides, they don't charge any less for annual physicals, so to heck with them

9. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Wanna try that one again? I have never been asked by a work doc for my primary physicians info. And i do read all the questions....see i want to make sure my lies are the correct answer. A release would be on it’s own page and would only be for ceritain information. It would also be spelled out.

This is like all the reply’s to drug testing question where y’all start yelling at people read the forms you have yo tell them what drugs you take before the test....again driving truck since ‘04...never ever had the testing site ask for any med history at all want so ever.

10. Bigblove23

Bigblove23 Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2019
    To a had medical examiner at Concentra want me tk take a sleep study. I answered all ofbthe questions properly, then he makes a checklist where the questions answer 4 sleep study. I explained to him i have never had a history of sleep. On my paper he states "Possible Sleep Apena" checks of limited certification but disqualified. The killer he stated i wear collective lenses and i never had a pair of classes in my life. I have 20/20 vision hear excellent but disqualified

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Your apparent lack of cooperation to submit to a sleep study by concentra led the DOT doctor to club you with a DQ' and create a mess on whatever the form he put that stuff such as glasses etc which you don't wear.

It's easier to find another company and go through the DOT thing with another doctor entirely than to try and fight a DQ on this one.

Personally you will not catch me in a sleep lab ever. I get my sleep when I get it, day or night. Call me old fashioned.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.